Black Violin to bring ‘new experience’ to A&M

PROVIDED

Black Violin will perform at 7 p.m. Thursday Feb. 12 in Rudder Theatre.

The Battalion Life & Arts reporter Kelsey Routh spoke with Wil Baptiste, member of the South Florida violinist duo “Black Violin” that will be performing at 7 p.m Thursday, Feb. 12 in Rudder Theatre.
THE BATTALION: When did you first become interested in music?
Baptiste: I think I’ve always been interested in music. I think ever since childhood. In terms of an instrument, I got interested in wanting to play the saxophone at the age of 13 or 14. That’s because of a security guard, he told me to sign up for band. He told me a story about how he would play the saxophone to make money on the weekends. And I thought to myself, ‘I want to do the same thing.’ So I signed up to play the saxophone and I signed up for band and they put me in the wrong class. So that’s how I got into string instruments.
THE BATTALION: What can students expect from the performance?
BAPTISTE: I mean it’s like this — you’re not going to know what to expect. Our show is high energy, it’s a lot of fun. Expect to have a good time. Expect to be sweaty after the show. But also, expect the unexpected. Expect something that you’ve never, ever seen or heard before or ever even imagined could be possible before. That’s what we bring to the table, something that is worthwhile. I never thought this was possible, but here we guys are, doing it.
THE BATTALION: How do you feel performing for an audience versus just playing for yourself?
BAPTISTE: The feeling is different. Well, actually the feeling really isn’t that much different. When I’m on stage I’m almost in a world by myself, sometimes. I zone out sometimes. But at the same time it’s different because the crowd’s energy gives you energy when they’re kind of like into it, versus just being by yourself and you’re just practicing.
THE BATTALION: If you could impart one piece of advice to students who are interested in music, what would it be?
BAPTISTE: Keep working hard. There’s going to come a time where you’re going to fall. We’re still trying to sell ourselves, we’re still trying to impress people even now. It took a long time to get where we are right now and it took a lot of hard work and it took a lot of determination and it took a lot of just breaking doors down and if the door is locked, go through a window. That’s our motto. You just have to be aggresive and believe in what it is that you’re doing. Believe with your heart in what you’re doing and presenting. If it’s real, people will feel it. That’s what matters. It has to be real.