Items from Lt. Col. David Michael Booth, Class of 1964, on display at the Muster Reflections Display in the Memorial Student Center on Wednesday, April 17, 2024. (Chris Swann/The Battalion)
Muster Reflections Display held ahead of ceremony
Hilani Quinones, Assistant News Editor • April 18, 2024

Until April 21, visitors can view personal memorabilia from fallen Aggies who will be honored at the 2024 Muster Ceremony. The Aggie Muster...

Julia Cottrill (42) celebrating a double during Texas A&Ms game against Southeastern Louisiana on Thursday, Feb. 22, 2024 at Davis Diamond. (Hannah Harrison/The Battalion)
Muffled the Mean Green
Shanielle Veazie, Sports Writer • April 17, 2024

Early pitching woes gave Texas A&M softball all the momentum needed to defeat the University of North Texas, 11-1, in a matchup on Wednesday,...

The Highway 6 Band performs while listeners slow dance at The Corner Bar and Rooftop Grill on Sunday, March 24, 2024. (Chris Swann/The Battalion)
'Life is a Highway' (6 Band)
Amy Leigh Steward, Assistant Life & Arts Editor • April 17, 2024

It starts with a guitar riff. Justin Faldyn plays lead, pulling rock and blues out of the strings.  After a beat, comes the beat of the drums,...

Think your music taste somehow makes you different? Opinion writer Isabella Garcia says being unique is an illusion. (Photo by Kyle Heise/The Battalion)
Opinion: The myth of uniqueness
Isabella Garcia, Opinion Writer • April 16, 2024

You’re basic. It’s thought that the term “basic bitch” originated from a 2009 video of Lil Duval standing on a toilet in front of...

Bobcats take upset win over Aggie softball

Photo by Jaime Rowe
Junior INF Koko Wooley (3) runs to second base during Texas A&M’s game against Valpo on Feb. 10, 2024 at Davis Diamond.

A midweek matchup for No. 14 Texas A&M softball had the Maroon and White take on No. 19 Texas State in San Marcos at Bobcat Softball Stadium.

The game was a low-scoring, defensive affair that ended with the Bobcats taking home the 4-3 win on the last play of the game. The playoff-like loss was one that the Aggies held onto until Texas State came back right at the end in the bottom of the seventh inning.

A quick first inning had both teams scoreless, but the second inning started differently for the Aggies. A&M already had two outs, but sophomore 3B Kennedy Powell hit a single up the middle for senior 2B Rylen Wiggins to run home for the night’s first score.

The third inning came and went, and the top of the fourth had no fortune for A&M. However, the bottom of the fourth brought life back to the Bobcats. Texas State got started with a double into center field from sophomore DP Kamryn Bass.

Following Bass was senior 1B JJ Smith, who reached on a throwing error that advanced her to second and also sent Bass home to tie the game at 1-1.

The Aggies finally showed their explosive offense in the sixth as senior CF Jazmine Hill was first up and advanced to first as she was hit by a pitch. A walk from senior 1B Trinity Cannon sent Hill to second, with Cannon being subbed out for freshman PR Hailey Golden. Then, Hill advanced to third and Golden advanced to second as senior C Julia Cottrill singled into right field, with Cottrill being subbed out for senior PR Sav Price.

A single that hit the right field wall from junior RF Allie Enright advanced Price to third and allowed Golden and Hill to run home to put the Aggies up 3-2.

Texas State started the bottom of the sixth with a double down the left field line from senior 3B Sara Vanderford with Bass walking to first right after. A single from sophomore 2B Katarina Zarate sent Vanderford home to close in on A&M’s lead.

Coach Trisha Ford opted to switch out graduate LHP Shaylee Ackerman to A&M’s ace, junior LHP Emiley Kennedy.

The Bobcats started the bottom of the seventh with a single from sophomore C Megan Kelnar. A sacrifice bunt from senior SS Hannah Earls sent Kelnar to second, with a walk coming from junior LF Ciara Trahan.

Another walk, this time from senior CF Piper Randolph, sent Trahan and Kelnar to second and third. Right before this play, A&M assistant coach Jeff Harger was ejected.

The third straight walk for the Bobcats that came from Vanderford was enough to send Kelnar home while advancing Randolph to second and Trahan to third.

With the bases loaded, an error by sophomore 1B Amari Harper sent Randolph home to win the game for the Bobcats.

A weekend series against No. 25 Auburn at Davis Diamond is next for the Maroon and White, with the first game starting on Friday, March 22.