Swan Song: A final farewell

Idani Cantu graduates from Texas A&M with a degree in agricultural communication and journalism on Friday, May 10, 2024
(Photo courtesy of Idani Cantu)
(Photo courtesy of Idani Cantu)

As my time as a student at Texas A&M University comes to an end, I can say I am more than thankful for the opportunity to be a student at such a prestigious institution that welcomed me with open arms. 

At first, I didn’t understand why everyone loved this school so much. I spent the majority of my freshman year watching everyone else fall in love with being an Aggie and partaking in Aggie traditions, while I stood questioning if I was in the right place. 

My first two years at A&M were spent wondering what to do with my time as I tried to make some new hobbies and apply for some organizations before I realized that I didn’t really care to be a part of them. I didn’t really care to be a part of anything.

I spent most, if not all, of my days going to school, then the gym, then to my apartment where I would spend the remainder of the day in bed rotting away. It was a continuous cycle I wasn’t happy with, and I knew something had to budge if I wanted to enjoy the one year I had left as a college student. 

After doing some self-reflection and growing in my faith, I realized that my perspective needed to change. There needed to be a shift, not only in the way I viewed myself but in the way I viewed my opportunities. 

I started to gain an appreciation for everything I had, and I learned to understand that it is a privilege to say I am a soon-to-be graduate from Texas A&M University. It is a privilege to be alive, it is a privilege to live away from home, it is a privilege to gain a higher education and it is a privilege to be a Fightin’ Texas Aggie. 

I quickly learned that all it took was a change in mindset. I started to view the world in a different, much brighter light. 

Putting myself out there was definitely one of the hardest things to do but it was also one of the things I am now most proud of. I learned not to be afraid of rejection, whatever it may be. I learned the importance of building relationships in your community. I even challenged myself to step out of my comfort zone. 

I applied for some extracurriculars, got some jobs, a couple internships, and I couldn’t be prouder of myself for learning that it’s okay to have humility and to get back up when something may push you down. 

I learned that it’s okay to make mistakes and to laugh at yourself when something embarrassing happens to you. It’s never really that serious, and there’s no reason to be so hard on yourself. 

It all started with a change of mindset. By choosing my path instead of waiting to see where I fall, I feel a sense of accomplishment and individuality. 

I am so grateful for the opportunity to have called College Station my home for the past three years. I saw myself internally grow and evolve into someone I never would have thought I could have been. 

If I was able to go back in time to my freshman year, I would tell myself, who was convinced that being an animal science major was the only route to success, that sometimes, things don’t go as planned, and that’s okay. The Lord has bigger and better plans that we may not yet be aware of. Plans to prosper you and not to harm you. Plans to give you hope and a future. 

Thanks and Gig ‘em. 

View Comments (2)