No one involved with Texas A&M baseball ever believed they were going to lose.  Despite being down 6-1 to Tennessee by the end of the...

Instructor’s exhibit finds a home in the Arts Council of Brazos Valley’s new location

Lecturer Dmitri Koustov’s collection “Textured Fictions” will be displayed in the Arts Council of Brazos Valley gallery until December 22.

Exploring everyday form and movement, a Texas A&M visualization instructor’s exhibit features colorful and abstract pieces on display at the Arts Council of Brazos Valley gallery.
Visualization lecturer Dmitri Koustov’s  “Textured Fictions” is made up of multiple oil paintings and a sculpture. It will remain in the council’s gallery until Dec. 22.
Koustov teaches drawing, painting, sculpture and design courses and is currently teaching a study abroad course for architecture students in Italy. According to Koustov, the pieces in his exhibit are based on what he sees in colors, shapes, textures, sounds and forms that surround him every day.

“Through various processes and techniques, I create compositions or inventions that are riddled with movement and texture,” Koustov said. “I enjoy a feeling of creating something completely unique in the world every time I work on a new painting.”

Holly Kozlowski is the marketing and development director at the Brazos Valley Arts Council. She said Koustov has been working with the Arts Council for several years.
“Dmitri was actually one of our first artists in residence, so we have a long history with him,” Kozlowski said.

Deputy director Amy Salvaggio said one of Koustov’s murals was popular at the council’s old location off of Dartmouth Street.

“Dmitri has a long history with The Arts Council and has done so much to develop and promote the arts in the Brazos Valley,” Salvaggio said. “We are thrilled to symbolically carry over that connection by showcasing Dmitri as the first artist on display in the galleries at our new facility.”

The council’s new location at 4180 Highway 6 South in College Station was once a fire station but has been transformed into an art gallery and visitor center. The former station’s garage has become a two-tier mezzanine gallery.

“It was kind of special to have him as our first exhibit now that we’re at a bigger and grander location,” Kozlowski said. “So that’s why we selected Dmitri.”

An abstract artist, Koustov said he enjoys the opportunity to evoke emotions, meaning whatever the viewer wants it to. He is also inspired by the many colors of Texas.

“In abstract compositions, I work on creating luminosity from interplay of light and textures and from the layering of hues,” Koustov said. “I present my feelings and ideas about life, nature and world around us through colors and brushstrokes.”

Koustov has served the community through several diverse art projects. He recently created a stained glass window project in collaboration with Foster Stained Glass now displayed in Kingwood United Methodist Church.

“The idea from the Arts Council was to tie the new beginnings and new building in with my work with the Arts Council,” Koustov said.
The Arts Council has been active in the community since its foundation in 1971, highlighting local artists and featuring traveling exhibits. The gallery is free to the public and open from Tuesday to Friday from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. and Saturday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.

“I hope that students will see that art gives you huge territory to be creative every day,” Koustov said. “All viewers of art shows bring their own feelings and interpretations based on their own experiences.”