Mi casa es su Casa’ provides warm environment for students

The program “Mi Casa es su Casa” is about making freshman Hispanic students feel at home here at A&M and increasing student-faculty relationships.
Victor Arizpe, professor of spanish and head of the department of hispanic studies and his wife Dr. Norma Arizpe, professor in the modern languages department are hosting students in their home Thursday.
“The ‘Mi Casa es Su Casa’ students are like family,” Arizpe said. “When we have them in our home, it is like having our “familia” home. What a rewarding experience this has been and continues to be.”
Arizpe and Dr. Luis Cifuentes, former executive associate dean and associate dean for research, started the program in 2005.
Professors open their homes to students and cook them dinner. It also involves an opening ceremony for anyone curious about the program.
“Since the culture revolves a lot around food, why not open up our homes for students to have dinner and talk about their experiences and support them socially and emotionally?” said Amanda Flores, student development specialist of the MSC student programs office.
Arturo Lara, international studies and spanish senior and cultural director of the committee of awareness of Mexican-American culture, attended this program as a junior and said his previous experience was an unexpected blessing.
“We shared life stories, talked about what we are doing now to get through college and what they had to do to get through college,” Lara said. “We talked about school and grades, and motivation. And most importantly, found out where to buy the greatest Mexican sweet bread in Bryan.”
Even though the program is designed for freshman Hispanic and transfer students, it is open to all students who wish to participate.
“It’s open to any incoming freshman transfer student, first generation student,” Flores said. It’s really open to any student.”