Texas A&M infielder Ali Camarillo (2) thros to first during Texas A&M’s game against Louisiana at the NCAA Bryan-College Station Regional Final at Olsen Field on Sunday, June 2, 2024. (Chris Swann/The Battalion)
Camarillo, Aschenbeck selected by Athletics, Cubs to round out 2024 MLB Draft

Junior SS Ali Camarillo and senior LHP Evan Aschenbeck rounded out the 2024 MLB Draft for Texas A&M baseball on Monday as they were selected...

MSC Visual Arts Committee opens ArtFest 2016 gallery

Second place winner at Art Fest, Skulltopus by Diana Bodenmiller

Students and art lovers will gather Thursday to celebrate the finalists of ArtFest 2016 at a reception and viewing party in the James R. Reynolds Student Art Gallery. 

ArtFest, an annual contest hosted by the Visual Arts Committee, allows students to submit art pieces for judgement by a student and faculty jury in the hopes of winning a cash prize. The opening reception will showcase the 24 pieces. 

The jury selected pieces based on a criteria of originality and style, said Mary Casillas, gallery director for the Visual Arts Committee and biochemistry senior. All of the submissions chosen by the jury will be displayed at the gallery, but the first, second and third place winners will also be honored at the receptions and given prizes. 

“We look for quality technique,” Casillas said. “We look for things that are unique and creative. The quirkier they are, the better.”

Casillas said ArtFest generally showcases a diverse collection works.

“In the years past, we’ve had some really cool pieces,” Casillas said. “Last year the first place winner was this watercolor piece. This year we have many strong pieces with a lot of character and different textures — lots of experimental and interesting works.”

Elizabeth Windon, special events director, said the reception is her favorite part of ArtFest because it gives students a chance to show off their hard work.

“The important thing about this reception is that it’s filled with so much energy,” Windon said. “Everybody is excited to show their friends their work and look at what other people have done.”

Mary Compton, Visual Arts Committee advisor, said the contest is meant to encourage students from all majors and backgrounds to create art. 

“Not all of the people that participate are art majors,” Compton said. “Last year our winner wasn’t an art major.”

Pieces from ArtFest 2016 will be on display in the Reynolds Gallery located in the MSC from March 3 through April 23. The Department of Visualization will also showcase a compilation of short animation projects that will run on a loop during the reception.