New organization brings together business and art

Photo by Courtesy

The Business of the Arts is a new organization campus that brings together business and creativity.

Aggies can express their more creative side in the Business of the Arts organization.
Excitement is brewing around Texas A&M campus due to the new student organization called, The Business of the Arts, which started during the fall 2017 school semester.
Created in fall of 2017, members of this organization are exposed to a wide variety of art such as graphic design, music, painting, videography/photography and even hand leathering.
Those who are interested in utilizing their artwork to achieve their dream job should highly consider joining this prestigious organization, according to business management senior and President Cynthia Meersman. She said the purpose of creating this organization is to bring together leadership skills and life lessons.
“We focus on network opportunities, helping artists sell their art, and gaining knowledge on career options,” Meersman said.
Business management sophomore and vice president Aaron Macias said members can gain new resources to help grow their passions and make a business out of it. Members can also develop their skills from the positive criticism given on their artwork during meetings.
“This organization is wonderful for students of the Mays Business School who wish to go into creative fields, and for students in the Art Department who want to get more business savvy,” Macias said.
According to junior graphic designer Dorian Massie, the weekly Tuesday meetings consist of an artwork show and tell and frequent guest speakers who share their experiences of making a living from their creative potential. For example, Jennifer Korolenko spoke about her job as the Curator for the MSC’s Forsythe Gallery and her research on the art that is displayed.
Macias said the meeting on Tuesday, Jan.30, business professor Matthew Call will tell his story of once being a part of a band and what he learned from managing it. He will provide insight on how to promote and book one’s work at various events.
“Some of our guest speakers have internship opportunities they tell us about, which is a great opportunity for members,” Meersman said.
Off campus events for members in The Business of the Arts include participating in art galleries and art shows.
“One event was at the SEAD Gallery called, ‘After Dark,’” Macias said. “There they have members from around the community that come and talk about different subjects pertaining to art.”
According to Macias, they have arrangements to participate in The Brazos Valley Art League art show. Beginning in February, artists from around the community meet, mingle, network and learn about each other’s art.
Meersman said they intend on holding an art show in the lobby of the Wehner Building at Texas A&M University.
Many of this organization’s members have great things to say about their group of passionate art enthusiasts, including Massie who said, “My favorite thing about this organization is that it is new and small, so you can collaborate with the group closely. I have learned that opportunity is always nearby.”
Importantly, this group offers valuable lessons from both the art and business sectors that do not overwhelm the members.
“My favorite thing about this organization is that I’m surrounded by like-minded people,” Meersman said. “It has all the artistic things I am looking for, but it wasn’t too artsy which I like. Also, it has all the business things I am looking for, and I like how you don’t have to show up in formal wear.”
Members of this organization are consistently striving to bring each other up. Macias said the most fun element of their organization is seeing others’ artwork and learning from them.