Portraiture exhibit depicts royals, masses

Chronicling the worlds of both royals and the masses, Forsyth Galleries’ “Portraiture in Perspective: Works from the Permanent Collections” exhibit depicts memories and moments of those from different walks of life.
Through its upcoming art exhibit, Forsyth Galleries aims to showcase extravagant as well as relatable depictions of people by artists around the world.
The exhibit features different outlets of artistic vision including photography, sculpture and oil on canvas.
“The whole thing behind this expedition is exploring portraiture through different themes and mediums,” said Jennifer Korolenko, curator of education and public programs. “The two main themes that are explored are status or social standing and also symbolism in portraiture through the medium that the artist chose to create their work.”
The works have been gathered from the permanent Bill and Irma Runyon Art Collection at A&M and select pieces are on loan from the Stark and University collections at large.
“It is an opportunity to really be up close and personal with some world-class art that’s right in your backyard, literally,” Korolenko said. “We’re in the MSC, so you’re in here anyway getting a bite to eat or buying books, and it’s just a great way to have quiet reflection in the day and spend some time with some pieces that you’d typically have to travel to Austin or Dallas or Houston to see.”
While there are several signature pieces, some standouts will be from artists such as Mary Cassatt, Frederic Remington and Peggy Bacon, as well as international artists such as George Woodall, Kitagawa Utamaro and Rembrandt van Rijn.
“[I’m looking forward to] just having all these lovely pieces together in one room that really explore a vast array of themes within portraiture and different subject matter,” Korolenko said.
Korolenko said upwards of 5,000 people are expected to visit the exhibit. In addition, the gallery will offer workshops and talks that run in conjuction with the show to educate and inspire art enthusiasts about the diversity detailed in the artists’ creations.
“Many of the pieces are in different mediums — from oil on canvas to a plaque done in English Cameo glass — so there’s really a great deal of variety in this particular show,” Korolenko said.
The exhibit will be open until Dec. 20 in the Forsyth Galleries in the MSC.