Texas A&M players watch fireworks after Texas A&M’s game against Ole Miss on Friday, April 19, 2024 at Davis Diamond. (Hannah Harrison/The Battalion)
The sun will come out
The sun will come out
Incoming journalism professors Mariano Castillo and Flora Charner sit with former student and Battalion staff member Ken Sury at the FJSA Hall of Fame reception ceremony held in the J. Wayne Stark Galleries in the Memorial Student Center on Friday, April 19, 2024. (Hannah Harrison/The Battalion)
A&M welcomes new journalism professors from CNN, Dallas Morning News
Ana Renfroe and Stacy CoxApril 19, 2024

At a ceremony honoring Aggie journalists, Texas A&M announced it will welcome three new journalism professors in the fall. New hires will...

LSU QB Jayden Daniels (5) runs with the ball during A&Ms game against LSU at Kyle Field on Saturday, Nov. 26, 2022. (Cameron Johnson/The Battalion)
2024 NFL Draft: Ranking every first-round graded quarterback
Mathias Cubillan, Sports Writer • April 21, 2024

As the 2024 NFL Draft in Detroit is closing in, a microscope gets placed on the prospects who play the sport’s most valuable position. Featuring...

The sun will come out
Members of the 2023-2024 Aggie Muster Committee pose outside the Jack K. Williams Administration Building. (Photo courtesy of Aggie Muster Committee)
Orchestrating a century-old tradition
Sydnei Miles, Head Life & Arts Editor • April 18, 2024

As Muster approaches, the Aggie Muster Committee works to organize a now century-old tradition. These students “coordinate every facet” of...

Texas A&M professor Dr. Christina Belanger teaches her Geology 314 class on Wednesday, April 3, 2024, in the Halbouty Geosciences Building. (CJ Smith/The Battalion)
Opinion: Stop beating the dead [virtual] horse
Eddie Phillips, Opinion Writer • April 22, 2024

Snow days were my favorite days of grade school. I would wake up extra early to stand in my living room to peer through the glass toward the...

‘The cheese of Valentine’s is great for the girls’

Whether it’s Valentine’s or Galentine’s, the girls of Aggieland are celebrating love.
Graphic by Ethan Mattson

For the girls of Aggieland, Feb. 14 is a day steeped in tradition, fond memories, celebration and appreciation for loved ones, whether they choose to celebrate Valentine’s or Galentine’s.

Despite this being her first Valentine’s as nursing senior Lindsey Root instead of Lindsey Martin, Root said she still loves Galentine’s festivities and celebrated with Aggie Sisters in Healthcare last Thursday.

“We had a potluck with cookie cake, Texas Roadhouse rolls, Chick-fil-A nuggets and we watched a rom-com,” Root said. “It’s more fun, and it also gives me an excuse to have another girl’s night. I feel like the cheese of Valentine’s is great for the girls. I love it. Maybe I’ll be 30 and have it with my mom.”

Root said Valentine’s was especially important to her in high school, but now it’s more valuable to see how her relationship with her husband Corban has changed over the years since their first in 2019, and to celebrate one another intentionally throughout the year.

“We gave each other a stuffed animal from Walmart because it’s like five or $10, and then we went to Texas Roadhouse,” Root said. “We did that every single year until college because I don’t think we have any more room for stuffed animals, but we still go to Texas Roadhouse. It’s a really great price, and it’s like a tradition. I will be eating cinnamon butter rolls until I die.”

The holiday is worth celebrating, even if it is a bit cheesy and overrated, Root said.

“In 2020 when it snowed, it was Snowmageddon,” Root said. “We lived like two minutes away from each other in Fort Worth, and his dad put [on] snow tire chains that we don’t have in Texas. He drove Corban to my house so he could still give me my stuffed animal. It was so sweet.”

Biology junior Mariam Sharief said that even with a love life that feels like “Heartless” by The Weeknd, she still loves celebrating Galentine’s and plans on making dinner and watching “The Bachelor” with her best friend this year.

“It’s a way for girls to celebrate one another and their girlhood,” Sharief said. “Freshman year, all my friends got together at my apartment; we had a bunch of desserts, fun snacks, played board games and celebrated our friendship.”

However, Sharief said she misses how growing up Valentine’s was a fun day centered around kids appreciating one another and maybe sending a carnation to their crush.

“If there were 26 students in the class, I got 26 Valentines,” Sharief said. “I used to eat candy, get a sugar rush, go home, take a nap. It feels so real now. People are getting engaged; they’re getting married; they’re in long-term relationships. Meanwhile, I’m studying for my biochemistry exam, which is basically on Valentine’s Day.”

When industrial systems engineering senior Michelle Moller was younger, she said her dad used to give her and her sister presents for Valentine’s Day. She shares Sharief’s sentiment that it’s not the same since she’s gotten older and further away from home.

“It used to be things for kids, each person got their little note box, shared candy and gifts with your family,” Moller said. “Getting older, it’s definitely changed. This year, I’ll be studying on Valentine’s Day. When I get home, I’ll probably bake chocolate chip cookies, see my sister and watch a rom-com.”

Encompassed by a whirlwind of love, pink, chocolate and hearts, business management senior Meena Vontivillu has embraced the holiday as it’s changed over the years.

“I’m always surrounded by people that I love, even if it’s just eating chocolate,” Vontivillu said. “I usually call my parents, talk to them; they get me a little stuffed animal and chocolate every year. Now that I’m not near my parents, I love Galentine’s. It’s so fun celebrating your friendships and your girls. It’s so wholesome.”

With love flooding every street corner on Feb. 14, Moller said her favorite part of the day is seeing all the different forms of it everywhere.

“Seeing couples on Instagram, hearing what my dad gave my mom — I love seeing love, and it’s such a nice day to see it,” Moller said. “It’s like watching a movie. Love is one of the best parts of being a human. It’s so cheesy, but I like seeing the purity of it. Most people are happy, at least for that day.”