Wright Gallery opens discussion of darkness of domestic violence

Tanner Garza — THE BATTALION
Tanner Garza — THE BATTALION

Expressing narratives of domestic violence through her artwork, Ernie Sherow, fine arts instructor at Blinn College, aims to raise awareness about domestic violence through her artwork, currently displayed in the Wright Gallery.
“Not everybody has gone through domestic violence,” said Cecilia Giusti, assistant professor in the College of Architecture and chair of the Wright Gallery.
“It’s not like everybody will have that experience. I was fortunate not having that environment like that, but I recognize that it is an issue that one way or the other that perhaps many people in society have, or experienced, or observed, or know about.”
The artwork is a vehicle that allows people to talk about things that can be difficult to process, Giusti said.
“Through the art we are able to process things that many times we can’t do otherwise,” Giusti said. “We are allowed to look at art and see pieces, problems, realities, feelings that are difficult to define and are difficult to talk about.”
Patrick Sheridan, biology freshman, said the pieces resonated with him at an emotional level.
“I’m sure these pieces all have incredible stories, express struggles I could never imagine having to face, especially not on my own,” Sheridan said. “I’m a scientist, and don’t really have much of an opinion on art, but these pieces hit me right in the feels. That has to mean something.”
Jill Harrell, horticulture freshman, visited the exhibit and said the pieces were disheartening, because “no one should ever be made to feel that way.” The subjects depicted in the artwork show the pain and agony domestic violence brings, Harrel said.
“The artist adequately portrayed the immense agony that the subjects of the paintings and victims of domestic violence in real life feel so incredibly deep,” Harrel said. “I noticed that none of the subjects are looking you right in the eyes and they always have that downward, defeated glance even though they’re still trying to fight for themselves and their loved ones.”
Harrel said the art showed how women who have experienced domestic violence may have a skewed self-image.
“Also, the features of the portraits where the girls’ faces are disfigured due to the mosaic style in Broken Series 3, or the ripple effect in Pandemonium 1, reinforces the realization of how the women and girls might view themselves,” Harrel said. “Not as the lovely, captivating, beautiful creation they are, but broken and blemished.”
The exhibition on the second floor of the Langford A building will remain open until Nov. 12.