Graduate G Tyrece Radford (23) drives to the basket during Texas A&Ms game against Nebraska in the first round of the 2024 NCAA Tournament at FedExForum in Memphis, Tennessee, on Friday, March 22, 2024. (Kyle Heise/The Battalion)
How Tyrece Radford can catch the attention of NBA scouts

After 5 years of college basketball at Virginia Tech and Texas A&M, Tyrece Radford is furthering his athletic career with the San Antonio...

5 things to watch for during the Democratic debate

Democratic candidates Bernie Sanders and Hillary Clinton will face off in Flint, Michigan, on CNN Sunday for the first Democratic debate since Super Tuesday. Battalion news editor Sam King gives five things to watch for this weekend.
1. Clinton’s confidence
Clinton has a huge lead on Bernie Sanders in terms of delegates and states won in the election cycle so far, and this will add to her already notable confidence. Super Tuesday was good to Clinton, and she’s polling well in Louisiana, Kentucky and Nebraska — states that will head to the polls Saturday. People who may have initially questioned her longevity in this campaign, especially in reference to her 2008 bid, will note a marked improvement, something that is adding momentum to Clinton’s motoring campaign.
2. Sanders’ push to cover lost ground
Sanders has a lot of ground to make up, but he’s optimistic he can do so in the North. Sanders does not poll well with black voters, a demographic largely present in the South, though he proved he does well in the North by picking up Colorado, Minnesota and Vermont on Tuesday. He’s not out of the campaign yet, but Clinton has 1,052 delegates and superdelegates to Sanders’ 427, which is a huge difference this many states in. Sanders will have to prove he is still viable and still electable during this debate.
3. Abortion rights as a talking point
There has been a lot of discussion this week surrounding a Texas case that is being heard in the Supreme Court regarding abortion, making the topic likely to come up during Sunday’s debate in one form or another. It’s probable both candidates will use the case as a platform to speak to supporting women’s health and women’s rights in the country. While Sanders and Clinton are both pro-choice and agree on funding Planned Parenthood, the two may use the opportunity to debate over which candidate is the best for women.
4. Flint as more than a backdrop
CNN announced they would host a Democratic debate in Flint, Michigan, right in the middle of the controversy surrounding the city’s water crisis. Clinton and Sanders have both been vocal about their stance on Flint, with Sanders calling for the resignation of Flint’s mayor and Clinton using Flint as a talking point during her stump speeches. This debate will likely feature topics surrounding the crisis, including climate change.
5. Mission: Take down Trump
It’s becoming more and more apparent that GOP candidate Donald Trump will likely be the nominee to beat. Sanders and Clinton will have to speak to why they are the candidate who can beat Donald Trump in a general election. Clinton has an advantage in this, as the more moderate candidate who can appeal to voters who are highly opposed to Trump as the president. Sanders is often compared to Trump for his similar rhetoric and party extremism. Sanders will need to start thinking soon about his strategy to beat Trump if he wants a shot at the nomination.