9/11 Yell Practice to feature red, white, blue shirts

When students arrive to Midnight Yell Friday, free red, white and blue T-shirts will line the stands in remembrance of the victims of the Sept. 11 terrorist attack. 

Zach Lawrence, head Yell Leader and psychology senior, said the hope is that the whole side of the stadium during Midnight Yell will be a sea of red, white and blue. 

“I think that remembering that is for us to have a chance to do something, even something as small as wearing the T-shirts, is just a great way to remember the sacrifices that people have made for us, not only at Texas A&M, but within the country,” Lawrence said. “I think it also goes with our core values pretty well to honor and remember what happened.”

Lawrence said the idea came from the football game that took place on Sept. 22, 2001, when the whole stadium wore red, white and blue in honor of those who were killed in the attack.

“Athletics initially proposed the idea,” Lawrence said. “It was brought to us and we of course were completely on board with it. And then you know, we had the game — back when 9/11 actually happened, there was that game where there was a ‘red, white and blue out’ to honor what had happened.”

Lawrence said while Friday’s Midnight Yell may not have the same impact the original Sept. 22 game had, he thinks it’s a good way to remember what happened. 

“I think it’s always important to never forget, never forget what happened with 9/11,” Lawrence said. “You never want to forget something like that — even though it was a tragedy, it still was one of those moments when America came together and really stepped up and showed why this country is the greatest country on earth.” 

Gates open for Midnight Yell at 10:30 p.m. Friday. Lawrence said there will be enough T-shirts to fill the whole side of the stadium.