Texas A&M catcher Jackson Appel (20) makes contact with a ball for a double during Texas A&M’s game against Tennessee at the NCAA Men’s College World Series finals at Charles Schwab Field in Omaha, Nebraska on Saturday, June 22, 2024. (Hannah Harrison/The Battalion)
Jones, Appel selected in sixth round of 2024 MLB Draft by Royals, White Sox

Junior RHP Tanner Jones and senior C Jackson Appel are heading to the big leagues after both were taken in the sixth round of the 2024 MLB Draft...

Aggieland highlights, focuses on life after tragedy

The wait is over for those who ordered the 2001-2002 Aggieland, Texas A&M’s yearbook, which will be available Friday.
“Horizons” is the inspiring theme for this year’s Aggieland, highlighting life and hope for the future even after tragedy has taken place, said Jon Niven, the book’s editor in chief and a senior journalism major.
“There will be a two-page layout distributed to the Bonfire anniversary and the Memorial Student Center’s (MSC) anniversary,” Niven said.
The Aggieland is the second-largest yearbook in the nation (the yearbook of the Naval Academy is the largest). In 1976, Aggieland was the largest yearbook in print history, containing 896 pages and weighing 10 pounds. That year, the Aggieland celebrated a century of A&M history.
“This is Texas A&M University’s 99th edition of the Aggieland,” said Tamara Adams, a junior economics major and editor in chief of the Aggieland. “The alumni of the school take great pride in purchasing the Aggieland every year.”
The Aggieland portrays life at A&M in all its aspects by recording events that took place on and off campus for the year and by reporting incidents whether they were joyous or horrendous, Adams said.
“As a photographer, I take pride in capturing the images throughout the year of Aggie life, and it includes Greek life, sports, academics, Corps of Cadets and events such as concerts,” said Carin Vadala, photo editor for the Aggieland and a senior wildlife and fisheries major.
The Aggieland is diverse in its nature, covering every event that surfaces for the year; therefore, it takes numerous members to contribute to the yearbook with dedication and commitment, Niven said.
“It was a very trying year, but with the support of a great staff with fresh ideas and different perspectives about A&M, it has made the experience working on the Aggieland a good one,” Niven said.
The Aggieland was nominated this year for the Pacemaker Award, the most prestigious yearbook honor in the nation.
“The overall appearance and layout of the book, including designs, photographs, etc. are reviewed to determine how good our yearbook is,” Vadala said.
Aggieland yearbooks will be distributed starting Friday, Sept. 21, 2001, at the Reed McDonald Building from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Tables will be displayed near room 015 in the basement.