Texas A&Ms attendance for the Alabama game was at 108,101 fans ranking it at the third largest game in Kyle Field history.(Ishika Samant/The Battalion)
‘The Mexican 12th Man’

Growing up in the hills of Monterrey, Mexico, Pedro and Carlos Luna were surrounded by soccer.  Clad in the gold and blue of Tigres UANL,...

Aggies travel for pair of conference opponents

The Texas A&M volleyball team (10-6, 2-3 SEC) travels to Tuscaloosa, Ala., on Friday to take on the Crimson Tide (14-5, 2-3 SEC) for an SEC matchup that will impact the current standings.
The Aggies and the Tide have played a total of four matches in their history and the Aggies hold a 4-0 advantage, including sweeping both matches last year. This year the two teams have the same conference record and are tied for fourth in the standings.
“They’ve improved a ton,” said head coach Laurie Corbelli. “They’ve returned every one of their key players and they have been working another year and they are a very physical team.”
A&M is coming off a 3-0 sweep of the Mississippi State Bulldogs last Friday. In the sweep, senior setter Allie Sawatzky led the team in kills with 10, and posted her fifth triple-double of the season.
Alabama is coming off a 3-1 loss to undefeated No. 25 Missouri. In the game, Krystal Rivers totaled 15 kills to lead the Tide. Alabama’s SEC losses are all to ranked SEC East teams, coming at the hands of No. 14 Kentucky and No. 4 Florida.
Overall, Alabama is 25th in the nation in kills per set with 14.09 and Rivers leads the team, averaging 3.53 per set. Alabama outside hitter Brittany Thomas was named the SEC’s Freshman of the Week in the last week of September when she posted 22 kills in two matches.
“They are a really competitive team with a competitive atmosphere,” said Heather Reynolds, senior outside hitter. “But we have experience in that kind of scenario because we have played at Florida and Colorado State and it should a great match up.”
The Aggies are 18th nationally in kills per set with 14.28, led by sophomore outside hitter Sierra Patrick who averages 3.37 per set. A&M also has 74 aces in the season with senior setter Mariah Agre and sophomore middle blocker Shelby Sullivan tied for the team lead at 19. However, the Aggie offensive attack is directed and maintained by Sawatzky.
“Honestly, our offense is effective because of our passing and our setter [Sawatzky],” said Angela Lowak, sophomore outside hitter. “She does a nice job spreading out the offence and leaving us with single blocks, and that is key going into our matchup. Our passing is going to be key as it will get our offence ready to attack.”
With two of the top offenses in the SEC at play, the defense will be the key for the game. The Aggie blockers are led by freshman middle blocker Jazzmin Babers, reigning SEC Defensive Player of the Week who ranks 48th nationally in blocks per set with 1.26.
“The defense will be huge,” Corbelli said. “Defense on both sides will be critical. The one that can’t respond quickly enough to the other team will struggle.”
The Aggies will conclude their road trip with a game against the Auburn Tigers 10-7 (1-4 SEC) on Sunday, with the match televised on Fox Sports. The Aggies will return home Oct. 25, for a game against the Arkansas Razorbacks (12-6, 5-2 SEC) beginning at 7 p.m.