Texas A&M pitcher Chris Cortez (10) delivers a pitch during Texas A&M’s game against Tarleton State on Tuesday, April 30, 2024. (Chris Swann/The Battalion)
Cortez selected by Los Angeles Angels with 45th pick in 2024 MLB Draft

Junior RHP Chris Cortez was selected by the Los Angeles Angels with the 45th pick in the second round of the 2024 MLB Draft on Sunday, continuing...

Annual Brazos Valley Fair and Rodeo offers new entertainment and events

Rodeo
Photo by Courtesy of Wayne Smith
Rodeo

The sixth annual Brazos Valley Fair and Rodeo (BVFR) is coming to Bryan this weekend to offer new events and entertainment for the community, while encouraging and promoting agricultural research and education.
The event will feature rodeo competitions, concerts, a carnival and livestock shows from October 20th to the 22nd at the Brazos County Expo Center. Custom-made rodeo attire will also be raffled off to benefit Hurricane Harvey victims.
This year’s three day event has more to offer than its predecessors, said Fiona Meyer, BVFR Senior Manager. A jumbotron has been added to the arena to help the audience’s visibility of the rodeo events and of the riders preparing in the chutes. Meyer said the rodeo is one of the signature events of the fair.
“We really pride ourselves on having a high-quality rodeo with champion livestock,” Meyer said. “It makes for a really good show. We get several world champions that live in Texas and will come compete. We usually have upwards of 400 rodeo performers throughout the weekend.”
In addition to professional cowboys and cowgirls, the rodeo will feature student contestants like agricultural economics junior Coleman Franz.
“I participated in the BVFR last year and I think it’s a great rodeo,” Franz says. “I like it, especially because it’s so close to campus. I like the facility and and I’m always really comfortable there. They put on a great production there.”
Texas A&M students volunteer for a variety of roles at the fair and rodeo. Student organizations, such as Texas A&M Horsemen’s Association, are incentivized by donations for their work, Meyer said.
Emma Coffman, director of communications for the Texas A&M Horsemen’s Association, said she is excited to volunteer at AgLand, an educational center which aims to educate young rodeo-goers on the process of food production.
“Agricultural education is really an ongoing issue,” Coffman says. “There is an education gap between the urban and rural communities. Educating people on where their food comes from not only helps consumers understand how their food is being processed, but it also helps them understand why their food is made that way.”
Coffman said that AgLand will make a large direct impact on community awareness about agricultural issues.
“400 to 600 kids will go through the barn on Saturday and Sunday alone,” Coffman said. “It’s great that our members will get to educate that many kids over the course of two days. This project provides a huge opportunity to bridge that education gap for future generations.”
The evening entertainment lineup this year has shifted from the usual country artists, to an array of live performers for everyone’s enjoyment, Meyer said.
“We have Kevin Fowler on Friday night and Sabrina Carpenter will be joining us on Saturday. She really pulls fans of all ages. This way, parents can treat their kids to a fun concert without having to drive to Houston,” Meyer said. “Sunday’s performance will be La Energia Nortena, a hispanic group. Having different genres play is a way to make sure there’s something for everybody.”
The rodeo will benefit victims of Hurricane Harvey by partnering with Texas craftsmen to hold a relief raffle. The winners will be drawn on Sunday for prizes that include a saddle valued at nearly $10,000, spurs and a custom cowboy hat.
“It’s a great way to come together with the craftsmen,” Meyer said. “They are all really great prizes and it’s neat that they were all done by Texan artists.”