Texas A&M infielder Ali Camarillo (2) thros to first during Texas A&M’s game against Louisiana at the NCAA Bryan-College Station Regional Final at Olsen Field on Sunday, June 2, 2024. (Chris Swann/The Battalion)
Camarillo, Aschenbeck selected by Athletics, Cubs to round out 2024 MLB Draft

Junior SS Ali Camarillo and senior LHP Evan Aschenbeck rounded out the 2024 MLB Draft for Texas A&M baseball on Monday as they were selected...

Board of Regents endorses A&M system’s continued role in Harvey recovery

Photo by Alexis Will

Texas A&M System Chancellor John Sharp was chosen by Governor Greg Abbott to lead Governor’s Commission to Rebuild Texas.

The Texas A&M System Board of Regents recognized A&M’s ongoing involvement in Hurricane Harvey relief during a special telephonic meeting Wednesday morning.
Led by A&M System Chancellor John Sharp, the Governor’s Commission to Rebuild Texas was created by Texas Governor Greg Abbott to coordinate the statewide relief and reconstruction effort.
“This new commission, led by Chancellor Sharp, will ensure victims get everything they need, and seamlessly provide resources to these devastated communities,” Abbott said during the announcement of the commission on Sept. 7. “Texas will not rest until this process is complete, and I thank Chancellor Sharp for his leadership on this commission.”
The 11 universities, 7 state agencies and employees of the A&M system have been authorized to participate in the commission’s work, according to Charles Schwartz, chairman of the Board of Regents. Schwartz said the role A&M system’s dedication to the recovery effort is a source of immense pride.
“Task Force 1 and its supporting partners, the forest service and the A&M veterinary emergency teams, the Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Service, countless faculty, students and friends have provided life-saving services to our state,” Schwartz said
The resources and commitment A&M brings to the table will be beneficial to the long-term objectives of Abbott’s commission, Schwartz said.
“The Governor’s call to duty is consistent with the unique service mission of the Texas A&M University System and will expedite the state and local recovery as well as rebuilding of public facilitates and infrastructure that are critical to our economy and our well-being as a state and to our citizens,” Schwartz said.
The purchase of an 18-story building on 5.5 acres in Houston was also authorized by the Board. Across from the Texas Medical Center and adjacent to the Texas A&M Health Science Center’s Institute of Biosciences and Technology, the building will serve the university’s EnMed partnership with Houston Methodist Hospital, a technology-focussed medical school option for physician engineers.