Brazos Valley Worldfest to celebrate cultural diversity

Photo by PROVIDED

Displays from countries as close as Mexico and as far as China will be included at the Brazos Valley Worldfest.

This weekend, there’s only one place to see the Mexican Ballet Folklorico, hear captivating tales from Native American storytellers and witness the Chinese Fenghua dragon dance. 

The Brazos Valley Worldfest (BVW) will bring together cultures, traditions and cuisines from around the world at the Brazos County Expo Complex on Saturday. The event aims to promote diversity and encourage people to come together to appreciate all traditions. 

“The Brazos Valley Worldfest is a celebration of culture and heritage,” BVW Board of Directors Chair Shannon Madlock said. “We invite people to come in and look at our culture displays and celebrate all of our differences and what makes us unique.”

The event will contain more than 40 cultural displays and feature dance performances from various countries, including China, India, the Czech Republic and Mexico. Musical performances by the Flying Balalaika Brothers, Los Vikingos Mariachi and the Rhythm Path Drum Circle will also be featured.

This year’s event will include an international candy shop with treats from around the world, according to festival coordinator Kim Fox.

“We’re just really excited to bring all of these groups together,” Fox said. “There’s really not any other opportunity for them to be able to come together and share their cultures with the community. We really enjoy being able to make that connection.”

There will be a shuttle service from the Texas A&M campus to the expo complex. A charter bus will run from the Memorial Student Center to the expo every 30 minutes from 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Charles Martinez, executive vice president of the Brazos Valley Economic Development Corporation, said the festival is an opportunity for students and community members to meet new people, eat delicious food and enjoy a fun-filled Saturday.

“It’s in our community’s interest to connect with so many different student organizations,” Martinez said. “To meet and greet and in some cases renew friendships, and to know different students who are in our community for the first time.”

• Displays from countries as close as Mexico and as far as China will be included at the Brazos Valley Worldfest.

Photo by PROVIDED