Texas A&M catcher Jackson Appel (20) makes contact with a ball for a double during Texas A&M’s game against Tennessee at the NCAA Men’s College World Series finals at Charles Schwab Field in Omaha, Nebraska on Saturday, June 22, 2024. (Hannah Harrison/The Battalion)
Jones, Appel selected in sixth round of 2024 MLB Draft by Royals, White Sox

Junior RHP Tanner Jones and senior C Jackson Appel are heading to the big leagues after both were taken in the sixth round of the 2024 MLB Draft...

Campus mourns death of incoming Band Commander

Photo by File

Alexander Jones was a political science junior and the 2016-2017 Aggie Band Command Sergeant Major.

Alexander Jones, 2016-2017 Aggie Band Command Sergeant Major and incoming combined Band Commander was pronounced dead after a collision with an 18-wheeler on the evening of Feb. 18. As news of 20-year-old Jones’ death has spread across campus, several prominent figures within the Corps of Cadets and the Aggie Band have released statements describing the magnitude of the loss, the person Jones was and the commitment to stand together in the face of tragedy.
In a statement released Monday, Commandant of the Corps of Cadets Joe E. Ramirez confirmed Jones’ death and expressed a sense of mourning and remembrance on behalf of the Corps.
“All who knew Alex remember him as a sociable, confident young man who had a resilient work ethic and a good sense of humor,” Ramirez said. “He was a very well-liked young man, and his loss will affect all of us for a long time to come.”                  
Ramirez extended condolences to Jones’ friends and family and emphasized the value of camaraderie in the face of such a loss.
“We all stand together as Aggies today as we mourn the loss of one of our own,” Ramirez said. “Alex Jones will be missed by all of us. As an Aggie, I hope the Jones family will take solace in knowing that Alex will never be forgotten, and that the unique Aggie spirit of camaraderie that is such an integral part of Texas A&M and the Corps of Cadets will hold fast to support them in this very difficult time.”
Aggie Band Director Timothy Rhea said Jones will be remembered by his fellow band members for his commitment and compassion.
“His reputation as a person of integrity, his strong work ethic and his leadership in the Aggie Band will define our memories of him, only to be topped by the fact that he was a caring human being who set a fine example to all,” Rhea said. “We are grateful for the time we had with him, and our thoughts are with his family during this difficult time.”
Jones was a member of the Ross Volunteer company which, among other duties, serves at both the Silver Taps and Muster ceremonies. Assistant Commandant of Operations and Training Colonel Glenn Starnes said Jones will be greatly missed within the company.
“He was preparing for the Ross Volunteers company’s participation in the King Rex parade next week,” Starnes said. “We are sorely missing him.”
As Jones’ loss is felt by many, several Aggies are expressing their grief over Facebook, including 2015-2016 Corps Commander Alyssa Michalke, who recalled Jones’ dedication to the service of others.
“Although I received word of Alex’s passing yesterday afternoon, it still doesn’t seem real that a young man with such an outstanding character, a servant’s heart, and a positive attitude would be taken from us so soon,” Michalke wrote. “I had the privilege to talk with Alex numerous times throughout his sophomore and junior years, and he always asked me for advice on how to serve others better so they could grow and develop. His selflessness and maturity always blew me away, and it was my honor to become friends with such an exceptional Aggie.”
Junior Yell Leader Cooper Cox described Jones’ hardworking spirit and emphasized the need to remember the life he lived.
“Alex was a son, a friend, member of the Corps of Cadets, member of the Fightin’ Texas Aggie Band and a Ross Volunteer that strived for excellence in everything he did,” Cox wrote on Facebook. “I do not understand how or why such an exceptional soul can be taken so soon. The only thing I can do is say ‘Here.’”