Texas A&M infielder Ali Camarillo (2) thros to first during Texas A&M’s game against Louisiana at the NCAA Bryan-College Station Regional Final at Olsen Field on Sunday, June 2, 2024. (Chris Swann/The Battalion)
Camarillo, Aschenbeck selected by Athletics, Cubs to round out 2024 MLB Draft

Junior SS Ali Camarillo and senior LHP Evan Aschenbeck rounded out the 2024 MLB Draft for Texas A&M baseball on Monday as they were selected...

Class of 2020 celebrates freshman year at Fish Fest

Fish+Fest
Photo by Photo by Cassie Stricker
Fish Fest

Continuing 12 years of tradition,  the class of 2020 celebrated a year of good-bull with prizes, food and friends at the annual Fish Fest hosted by Class Councils.
On Thursday evening, freshmen gathered in the Architecture Quad to enjoy live entertainment provided by the Aggie Dance Team, Mr. FLO contestants, various student organizations and to close the event, the Aggie Yell Leaders held a yell practice for the class of 2020.
Engineering freshman and Fish Fest director Kendahl Lyle said he was grateful to see most of the freshman class come together to commemorate the end of their first year as at A&M.  
“For me personally, I am most excited to see a class unity tradition because this is one of the few things the class of 2020 gets to do as a whole,” Lyle said. “The best part about Fish Fest is that it is open to the whole freshman class and it’s all about class unity.”
As a part of the entertainment for the evening, the top “Mr. FLO’s” were invited to perform a dance number from their freshman leadership competition. Mr. FLO is a contest where each male participant pays tribute to a prominent historical leader through dance, song or any other personal talent. Business administration freshman and Mr. FLO contestant Ben Hall said he was happy to show off some of his moves with the rest of the Mr. FLO’s at Thursday’s Fish Fest.
“Fish Fest is a real community thing just like our Mr. FLO competition,” Hall said. “We get to bond over events like this and seeing Texas A&M together is really special.”

With the Mr. FLO’S bringing some of the fun to Fish Fest, environmental design architecture freshman and logistics director Ashleigh Thoele said she was ecstatic about the music for this event, provided by class of 2020’s very own DJ Aja (general engineering freshman Jorge Aja). Thoele said Aja was a great fit to the entertainment line up for this year’s Fish Fest.
“Having a DJ that is a freshman just helps encourage the whole freshman aspect that we are trying to promote,” Thoele said. “I’ve grown up in an aggie family and these traditions have been my whole life … I love the meaning behind them and the goals and the mission of the organization, so I knew this is something I definitely wanted to be a part of. The traditions here get everyone involved and there’s so much sentiment behind it going back through A&M’s history which makes our school so unique.”
Biology freshman John Nguyen said he was happy to take a break from studying and attend Fish Fest. Nguyen said the opportunity to take part in this tradition made him feel honored to be a part of the Aggie family.
“My friends sent the Fish Fest flyer in a GroupMe and I’m just happy to be here and a part of this tradition,” Nguyen said. “The food is always nice at events like this and the Mr. FLO dance was pretty good … I’m enjoying it all.”