Texas A&M infielder Ali Camarillo (2) thros to first during Texas A&M’s game against Louisiana at the NCAA Bryan-College Station Regional Final at Olsen Field on Sunday, June 2, 2024. (Chris Swann/The Battalion)
Camarillo, Aschenbeck selected by Athletics, Cubs to round out 2024 MLB Draft

Junior SS Ali Camarillo and senior LHP Evan Aschenbeck rounded out the 2024 MLB Draft for Texas A&M baseball on Monday as they were selected...

Construction temporarily displaces Reveilles’ gravesite

Photo by Cody Franklin

The relocation of the Reveilles’ gravesite to Cain Park in August proved to be an experience similar to opening a time capsule.
Scott Evetts, commanding officer of E-2, the Corps outfit responsible for taking care of the current Reveille and moving the caskets, said the deceased mascots have not been exhumed since early construction on Kyle Field 15 years ago. Along with the relocation, the Reveilles were placed in new caskets and ceremonial dirt was placed over their graves.
During the process of replacing caskets, Evetts said cadets found Reveille VI’s blanket, complete with her five diamonds still attached, as well as a bouquet of intact flowers and Bevo doll with sawed off horns in Reveille V’s casket.
Evetts said cadets got the chance through the exhumation process to step into the shoes of former cadets and see how members of E-2 had cared for Reveille in the past 60 years.
“It was amazing to have all our labor pay off in such a meaningful way,” Evetts said.
Evetts said the current location at Cain Park will have less accessibility than the Kyle Field location. The burial site will be chained off and names will not be indicated at the temporary gravesite as the name plaques are undergoing polishing.
As Kyle Field is going through improvements, Evetts said the area for the graves will also go through changes. It will be longer to accommodate future Reveilles and slightly further from the Field.
Evetts said the Reveilles will remain at Cain Park until construction on Kyle Field is complete. The prospective date of movement is summer 2015.