Texas A&M infielder Ali Camarillo (2) thros to first during Texas A&M’s game against Louisiana at the NCAA Bryan-College Station Regional Final at Olsen Field on Sunday, June 2, 2024. (Chris Swann/The Battalion)
Camarillo, Aschenbeck selected by Athletics, Cubs to round out 2024 MLB Draft

Junior SS Ali Camarillo and senior LHP Evan Aschenbeck rounded out the 2024 MLB Draft for Texas A&M baseball on Monday as they were selected...

Corps of Cadets and Interfraternity Council to face off in charity softball game

Photo by FILE

The two teams will play the game to raise money for BUILD, a campus organization that builds portable medical clinics for areas without accessible hospitals.

On Thursday, Nov. 2, two Texas A&M organizations, the Interfraternity Council and the Corps of Cadets, are coming together for a charity slow pitch softball game.
The softball teams will consist of one team of Corps baseball players and one team made up of players from various IFC fraternities, with vice president for student affairs Daniel J. Pugh, Sr. throwing out the first pitch. The game starts at 7:00 p.m. and tickets cost $5.
The two teams will face off at the Aggie Softball Complex to raise funds for BUILD, a campus organization which uses volunteer efforts to construct portable medical clinics to send to areas of the world without access to permanent hospitals. BUILD recently sent several portable clinics across the state to aid in Hurricane Harvey rescue efforts.
Interfraternity Council president Michael King assisted in the planning process and said he’s especially excited about the event this year because last year’s was rained out.
“This game hasn’t happened in years,” King said. “We’re excited to have it this year. After what happened last year, we were disappointed because it’s such a good cause.”
Deputy Corps Commander Sara Wojcak, who helped coordinate the event on behalf of the Corps, said she feels the softball game is a unique chance to unite people across campus for charity.
“It’s a really neat opportunity because we are able to unite kind of three areas of campus that wouldn’t normally come together, that being the Corps, the IFC and BUILD,” Wojcak said. “It’s really cool to bring these three different areas together for a good cause.”
Wojcak said she feels BUILD is the perfect cause for this event because it’s an organization that the Corps and IFC already work together through.
“Both of our positions both sit on the board for BUILD so we’re able to kind of see the inner workings of how they make decisions and how they manage the resources that they have,” Wojcak said. “It seemed like the natural cause for us to choose you know, because it’s already kind of a shared experience that we have.”
This event has been in the works since last year’s game was cancelled due to inclement weather. Wojcak and King have been meeting since July to ensure everything about the game runs smoothly.