Texas A&M pitcher Evan Aschenbeck (53) throws a pitch during Texas A&M’s game against Florida at the NCAA Men’s College World Series semifinal at Charles Schwab Field in Omaha, Nebraska on Sunday, June 19, 2024. (Hannah Harrison/The Battalion)
Aggies defeat Gators 6-0 to advance to first College World Series finals
Kolton Becker, Sports Writer • June 20, 2024

There’s always a first for everything.  For the first time in program history, Texas A&M baseball is headed to the Men’s College...

CSPD participates in statewide show of support

Photo by Photo by Trey Reeves

CSPD patrol cars lined up outside the police station and turned on their lights Friday at 11 a.m. for exactly one minute in honor of Darren Goforth, Deputy Sheriff of Harris County, Texas.

College Station Police Department patrol vehicles ran flashing blue and red lights for exactly one minute at 11 a.m. Friday morning, joining law enforcement agencies across the state and nation in an act of support for fallen Darren Goforth, Deputy Sheriff of Harris County, Texas.
The act of solidarity coincided with Goforth’s funeral in Houston, and included 35 patrol vehicles prominently displayed in front of CSPD headquarters.

Chief of Police Scott McCollum said while the circumstances surrounding the event are unfortunate, it brings to light a much bigger issue in our country today.

“It’s a show of support for law enforcement across our nation,” McCollum said. “We’re going through some difficult times right now, and it’s critical that the silent majority come out and recognize that law enforcement and public safety as a whole is a very important part of our society.”  

Many civilians showed their support by attending the event, stopping their cars on Texas Ave. and wearing blue to work and around town. McCollum said that kind of support from citizens gives him optimism about his department’s relationship with the local community.

“That support is what the authority of law enforcement is based upon,” McCollum said. “It’s based upon trust, and when the community trusts us like that it means a lot because we don the uniform and the badge day in and day out for the purpose of supporting and serving our community.”

While McCollum said he doesn’t like the circumstances surrounding the event, he loves the message it brings with it.
“It takes your breath away,” McCollum said. “It’s unfortunate the reason we’ve come together this morning, but it re-emphasizes the reason we’re in this line of work. It’s a calling, and something we do day in and day out despite the challenges we face on a national level. We do it because we care for our fellow man.”