Executive cabinet positions confirmed, committee chairs elected at Student Senate meeting

During Wednesday night’s meeting of the Texas A&M student senate, 10 students were sworn into leadership positions as senate committee chairs were elected and appointments to Student Body President Bobby Brooks’ executive cabinet were confirmed by the Senate.
After a brief introduction by Brooks, each cabinet selection gave a description of their qualifications and stated goals for their respective positions. Each appointee was approved by the assembled body of senators before taking the oath of office.
“The group that was confirmed to cabinet positions tonight were very experienced, very confident people,” Brooks said. “They know what they have to offer to this university and that really shone through. I think the Senate really detected that and was able to see that which was really all I could have asked for tonight.”
After receiving the Senate’s approval, honors biomedical science junior Michael Zimmerman will serve as executive vice president, chemical engineering junior Grace Dansby will serve as chief of staff, Bush school graduate student Jonah Chen will serve as VP of municipal affairs, finance junior Kyle Meurer will serve as development commissioner and biochemistry freshman Sara Swiney will serve as VP of university committees.

“I’m just thoroughly excited,” Brooks said. “Relationship between executive cabinet and Senate is off to a great start and I know that that’s what’s going to be best for the student body throughout this year.”
The meeting also included the election of committee chairs for the Student Senate’s 70th session.
Political science sophomore Katina Economides ran unopposed and was subsequently sworn in to the office of legislative affairs chair. In an endorsement letter sent to Senators of the 70th Session, speaker of the 69th session Joseph Hood said Economides’ previous experience will serve her well in the new position.
“She has walked the halls of the state Capitol, meeting with state legislators and lobbying them on behalf of the students of Texas A&M,” Hood said.
Political science sophomore Kalyn Roberts and petroleum engineering sophomore Jett Black both ran for student services chair, with Black ultimately taking the position after a close vote of 28-25.
Agricultural economics junior Anne Marie Wolff was elected academic affairs chair 43-15 against agricultural leadership and development sophomore Coy Westbrook.
Running unopposed, finance junior Jake Wilson was elected community relations chair, physics sophomore Gentill Abdulla was elected constituency affairs chair and political science junior Brandon Gindt was elected legislative relations chair.
These students will oversee the activities of their respective committees as the 70th session of the Texas A&M Student Senate continues.