Five statues unveiled in front of Kyle Field

The 40-foot long statue represents students past, present and future of Texas A&M

The rainy clouds parted just in time Friday for the official unveiling of five new monuments on the east side of Kyle Field. Alumni, current Aggies and future Aggies alike all gathered to watch as the green tarps were removed from the statues, each dedicated to the students and the spirit of Texas A&M.
“These monuments, representing various aspects of our spirit and traditions will help us tell the story of Texas A&M University far and wide,” Mark Hussey, interim President of Texas A&M University said to the audience.
The ceremony began with a brief presentation by Sam Torn, Co-Chair of the Kyle Field Redevelopment Committee, and several other men, each man having played an integral role in Kyle Field redevelopment efforts. Each presenter took time to thank and acknowledge all of the people involved with the production of these statues, including all of the workers who have been tirelessly reconstructing Kyle Field.
“At the game tomorrow, there are going to be about three or four thousand of these workers with maroon t-shirts on. And these t-shirts ‘I’m rebuilding Kyle Field,’” Hussey said to the audience. “I hope when [they’re recognized] we make a hell of a noise for them. I hope when you see them you shake their hands. They have been working 97-hour weeks for the past four weeks to make this happen. They have had one day off in the last nine months, and that was Christmas day last year. And that is a phenomenal undertaking.”
After the presentation, audience members walked to watch the first two monuments, the Corps of Cadets and Fightin’ Texas Aggie Band monuments, be unveiled by David Trigg, Corps Commander and Parker White, Combined Band Commander.
“There is no better place to begin this grand parade, then with a monument that recognized 138 years of history, tradition and excellence,” Bob McClaren, co-chair of the Kyle Field Redevelopment Committee said. “These men and women have been, and are, the keepers of the spirit.
After the granite pillars, which were created by Blair Buswell and each with either the Corps symbol or the band symbol on top, were unveiled, the crowds walked to the sounds of “Noble Men of Kyle,” to the next monument: The War Hymn Monument.
The monument, which stands in the center and was created by Stephen Whyte, is perfectly adjacent to the 50-yard-line, measuring over 40-feet long and 10-feet high, is largest monument on display at a collegiate athletic facility in the world, according to Sam Torn.
“This monument represents the heart of Texas A&M,” Torn said. “It represents the fact that aggies stand together, not only if football, but in life.”
While the students whom the statue was modeled after stood in front of the monument, the crowd sang “The Aggie War Hymn,” joining arms whether they were old or new Aggies.
The next monument to be unveiled, appropriately by the Yell Leaders, was the Yell Leader Monument. The statue, created by Robert Hogan, depicts a Yell Leader encouraging the crowd to get louder.
“This is one of those final touches, type deal,” senior Yell Leader Roy May said. “This has been going on since December. Now it’s done, and all we’ve got left to do is pull of the covers and open up concessions.”
The final monument that was unveiled was the E. King Gill monument, which is twice life-size at 12-feet tall and was also created by Robert Hogan. Bob McClaren explained the story behind the 12th man to a crowd that nodded along and watched with anticipation before the tarp was removed and the ceremony was completed.
Freshman Kieran Robarge said that the event was a great prelude to the weekend to come, and even for the future of Texas A&M.
“It was exciting and meaningful,” Robarge said. “It seemed like [the statues] were looking towards the future, or towards future Aggies. I can’t wait to have thousands of Aggie fans walk by those great new statues and remember the spirit of Texas A&M.”
All five of the new monuments can be seen on the east side of Kyle Field.

• The 40-foot long statue represents students past, present and future of Texas A&M