Generations of yell leaders pass back traditions

%26%23160%3B

At the sidelines of Aggie sporting events, you can find yell leaders uniting thousands of students during a game. With one hand signal, crowds come alive under the traditions and spirit of Texas A&M University.
Ryan Crawford, junior political science major, is one of five yell leaders firing up crowds this year. He said he is grateful for the opportunity to serve students as the face of A&M.
“As yell leaders we may be the first thing some people get to see of Texas A&M,” Crawford said. “It’s really special for us to be able to represent A&M outside of College Station and even outside of Texas when we travel to away games and introduce people to our proud Aggie traditions.”
Drew Nelson, senior accounting major, said being yell leader last year was the biggest honor he ever received and the chance to represent A&M is a dream come true.
“The best part of being a senior yell leader is the feeling of representing something bigger than yourself,” Nelson said. “We represent all former, current and future students in the traditions and spirit of Texas A&M which is an incredible opportunity for us.”
Nelson, a second-generation Aggie, said his pride and love for A&M continues to grow as he spreads the culture of A&M to
students.
“I feel I contribute to the legacy of A&M’s traditions by sharing them with the new class of Aggies,” Nelson said. “The traditions of this school have been passed down from generation to generation since they started. It is so cool to have a large part in that this year.”
During summer, yell leaders attend New Student Conferences to introduce yells, songs and the Aggie War Hymn to incoming freshmen and their families. They also travel all over Texas, meeting with former students and extending the scope of the Aggie Network.
Nelson said with all the summer preparation, excitement for the fall semester builds. He said for students, incoming and current, this year marks the beginning of one of the University’s most exciting eras.
“The new exposure in the SEC is going to make each and every tradition more remarkable and unique,” Nelson said. “Midnight Yell in particular because the added excitement for each game will lead to an increase in attendance and participation at Midnight Yell.”
The first home yell practice of the year is typically the highest in student attendance. This year, practice will be before the first SEC game against the Florida Gators. Yell leaders anticipate it to be the largest yet.