In its 100th year, Academic Building gets celebration Friday

In celebration of the Academic Building’s 100-year anniversary, the College of Liberal Arts will host a celebration Friday to commemorate the building’s continued importance to campus.
Andy Duffie, the president of the Class of 1978, is expected to speak.
Ashley Smolik, an agricultural communications and journalism junior and student worker at the Appelt Aggieland Visitor Center, describes the building as a landmark.
“I think it links the traditions together because it’s still in use,” Smolik said. “We have old Ags come back, and they remember their time at A&M. And then you also have the newer students, they all take classes, they’re all in the same building, they all know where it is, they have a bond.”
Engineering freshman Ryan Mulkey said his favorite aspect of the building is replica of the Liberty Bell that hangs from the dome
“Following WWII, the U.S. Government gave each state a replica of the Liberty Bell,” Mulkey said. “Other states decided to hang the bell in their respective capitol buildings. However, Texas did not. The bell was given to Texas A&M by then-Texas Governor Allan Shivers because, ‘No one suffered more than the Aggies, so we will give it to them.’ I see the Liberty Bell as a real testament to Texas A&M’s core value of selfless service. Brave Aggies put personal agendas on hold for their country, and I feel it serves as a reminder to Aggies to give back to not only our country, but to our university and community as well.”
The seal inside also sets the building apart.
“The Academic Building has a lot of different examples examples of selfless service in it,” said A.J. Porre, biology junior and student worker at Appelt Aggieland Visitor Center. “We also talk about the seal and how each class gives a class gift. With the seal, for example, it’s the Class of 1978’s gift, so it’s a great representation of how we give back to the university that gave so much to us.”
The celebration will take place at 3 p.m. inside the Academic Building.