Texas A&M catcher Jackson Appel (20) makes contact with a ball for a double during Texas A&M’s game against Tennessee at the NCAA Men’s College World Series finals at Charles Schwab Field in Omaha, Nebraska on Saturday, June 22, 2024. (Hannah Harrison/The Battalion)
Jones, Appel selected in sixth round of 2024 MLB Draft by Royals, White Sox

Junior RHP Tanner Jones and senior C Jackson Appel are heading to the big leagues after both were taken in the sixth round of the 2024 MLB Draft...

Kansas State and Beasley win Battle of freshman

One of the most intriguing match ups of the first round was Kansas State against USC. This of course also meant super freshmen Michael Beasley and OJ Mayo would go head to head in a battle of future first round NBA draft picks. In the end the Wildcats beat the Trojans 80-67.
But the game didn’t turn out to be the Beasley-Mayo duel everyone expected. Instead the Wildcats other freshmen notably Bill Walker and Jacob Pullen were the catalyst upon which Kansas State advanced to the second round for the first time since 1988.
“Everybody was so focused on the individual matchup,” said Pullen. “We just tried to make it into Kansas State winning the game. That’s what we were focused on.”
In the end Mayo and Beasley had good games. Mayo led the Trojans with 20 points and led in assists and steals. Beasley led the Wildcats with 23 points, 11 rebounds, and a block. However Walker scored 22 points himself and Pullen had 11 points. In addition K-State forward Ron Andersen also scored 10 points.
The oft-injured Walker has shown flashes of brilliance at Kansas State but for the most part has been mired by injuries and overshadowed by Beasley. While Beasley is expected to jump to the NBA when the wildcat’s season is over, Walker, Pullen, and Andersen will give Wildcat fans plenty to look forward to next season, especially if they play like they did against USC.
The Wildcats pulled down 40 rebounds to USC’s 27, had 15 assists to USC’s 12, and had seven steals to the Trojan’s six. USC only shot better free throws and out blocked the Wildcats in terms of stats.
With the hyped matchup of NBA ready stars done with; USC will go back to Los Angeles where Mayo will soon make his much predicted decision to go to the NBA. Kansas State moves on to the second round where they will play three seed Wisconsin.
“They’re a team that has a chance to advance and go to the regional final,” USC head coach Tim Floyd said. “They’ve got great, great talent.”