Shalina Sabih July 15, 2024

Mail Call – Grade exclusion forgets students who transferred

Well, Texas A&M has done it again! Transfer students have gotten hosed by University officials and the grade exclusion policy. When transferring in, a student loses his GPR, and it is zeroed out just like a freshman just beginning school. Our former schools do not have grade exclusion policies so that does not help us with getting a high enough GPR to get admitted to A&M, and we are barred from using it to help our GPR once we are admitted to A&M.
It is not that I would not have loved to be at A&M for four years, but I just did not have the money. But should this be a reason that I am kept from using the grade exclusion policy on top of the many other opportunities that transfers are kept from? I do not think it is right to give some students the right to use such a policy without offering it to everyone. As a transfer student, I am tired of being treated like a second-class Aggie, and I wish University officials would remember us when they are drafting up new policies.
Also, the policy should simply allow for any three grades to be dropped that a student wishes. This is because a student who makes all A’s and one B should be granted the same opportunity to drop the one B and get a higher GPR as the student who fails or barely passes and likewise earns a higher GPR.