Graduate G Tyrece Radford (23) drives to the basket during Texas A&Ms game against Nebraska in the first round of the 2024 NCAA Tournament at FedExForum in Memphis, Tennessee, on Friday, March 22, 2024. (Kyle Heise/The Battalion)
How Tyrece Radford can catch the attention of NBA scouts

After 5 years of college basketball at Virginia Tech and Texas A&M, Tyrece Radford is furthering his athletic career with the San Antonio...

Mail Call – People of all backgrounds have equal opportunity

eeding academically, in large part because my junior and senior years of high school were more rigorous than college has been so far. However, many students enter college with entirely different experiences behind them, influencing their propensity for success. But students have no control over their backgrounds, and the grade exclusion policy is a step that may help GPR to be based less on students’ opportunities before college and more on their potential.
Ms. Brown’s mail call insinuated that the grade exclusion policy would not allow students to learn from their mistakes. However, if students’ grades improve after freshman year, presumably they have indeed learned from their mistakes, and the grade exclusion policy allows their GPRs to reflect this.
The better graduate schools and such would notice the trend in students’ grades anyway, but the affected students will now have more chances to apply for scholarships and programs appropriate for their abilities, which may have otherwise excluded them because of a minimum GPR requirement.