Mays business creates master program for non-biz majors

Mays Business School will soon offer non-business majors the opportunity to set themselves apart in the business world with the start of the Master of Science in Business Program.

The program will begin this summer, and is meant to make students more marketable, said Sean Jasperson, the academic director for the Master of Science in Business Program.

“We’re looking for students outside of the Mays Business School to enroll for the program directly after their undergrad,” Jasperson said. “So, if you graduate in May, you could start the master’s program right after that, rather than five years later.”

Keith Lane, the program coordinator, said the program was originally created to allow non-business majors to gain a new skill set. Lane said similar programs are popular in Europe, and are just now gaining popularity in the United States.  

“When you graduate, you’re going to have to set yourself apart from your peers,” Lane said. “After people graduate, they usually wait a few years to begin their MBA, but for most people that isn’t realistic. Some people have already begun their lives, or have been working for five or more years. This is for people who want to put themselves ahead of their peers.”

The program takes a Master in Business Administration and condenses it to an 11-month program. Students take five mini semesters, starting in the summer II session through the following spring semester, completing 17 courses for a total of 36 hours. Forty-eight students are expected to be in the first graduating class.

According to the program’s website, classes will take place four to five days per week, and students will take courses that focus on areas of business such as finance or accounting. Combined with their undergraduate degree, some students are expected to be able to reach upper management positions faster with a Master of Science in Business.

The website also states the courses will avoid traditional lecture and teaching styles by using simulations, case methods, flipped classrooms and applied learning. The curriculum will focus on building a foundation in business, including communication, finance, marketing, supply-chain management and other areas of study.

“How do you stand out when you get into the real world?” Lane said. “When students match their work ethic with their bachelor’s degree and this extra education, it’ll open doors for them. If you want to do better in the job market, you’ve got to stand out.”

Lane said  the Master of Science in Business Program is considering a trip to Mexico during spring break. They will arrive at a training center where they will listen to guest speakers, meet with company leaders and learn how to conduct business outside of the United States.

As part of the program, Lane said students will learn about how to do business through an integrated experience in which they form a small business. Students will divide into groups to apply for a $5,000 loan, which will be paid back with profits from the groups’ businesses.

“This concept is something I’ve been trying to bring to Mays for several years,” Jasperson said. “I’m really excited for this to happen, especially in this context.”t

Applications for the program are currently open. Students should apply with a GRE or GMAT score, three letters of recommendation, an application fee, transcripts and a resume. More information about the program can be found at mays.tamu.edu/ms-business.