New app allows students to receive groceries on demand

With services in over half of the United States, a new grocery delivery service will launch in College Station, providing more jobs opportunities for students and an easier way to shop for groceries.

Started in 2012 by Apoorva Mehta, Instacart allows residents to have their groceries delivered directly to their doorsteps by shopping at the store of their choice through the Instacart app available on any IOS or Android device. Users can shop for groceries between 10am and 10pm everyday and receive them in as little as an hour. Instacart will now serve the College Station area allowing residents to get groceries from HEB, SPECS, and Petco at their convenience.

Area Manager Jessica Murdock and Communications Coordinator Rebecca Sillman believe Instacart is a perfect fit for College Station.

“We connect you with trained, personal shoppers in your area who pick up and deliver your groceries from your favorite local stores.” Mudrock said. “Instacart aims to give you back time that you would spend doing the things you love, not the errands you have to….For a basket of $35 of more, you can have it delivered in as little as an hour for only $5.99.”

For students still adjusting to college, this new service can save students the hustle and bustle of grocery shopping.

“Whether moving into a new dorm or apartment, cramming for an exam, or just out enjoying Chilifest with friends, Instacart makes it easy for students to focus on their college experience without the chore of running to the store.” Sillman said. “Students can add items from their favorite store to their baskets, select a delivery time, and go on.”

After launching in Austin in 2014, Instacart has gradually spread to over 100 cities in Texas and continues to grow nationwide. Stephanie Thomas is the Operations Manager for Austin and San Antonio and expects Instacart to have tremendous success in Aggieland.

“Instacart will be very beneficial to the people of College Station.” Thomas said. “There are lots of students and professors that are busy with sports, classes, extracurricular activities and Instacart can make it easy. Even if you want to healthy, Instacart can help with that.”

In addition to flexible grocery shopping, Instacart is also a flexible way to earn extra money.

“To be an Instacart shopper you apply online atinstacart.com/shoppers. Currently, our shopper team both shops and delivers the groceries in the Bryan-College Station area, which will require the use of a vehicle”. Murdock explained. “Applicants will also need a valid driver’s license and 2 years of driving history to become a shopper.”

Students like sophomore international studies major Gabriel Garza are curious to check out Instacart, especially during a time where the school works are starting to pick up.

“It sounds like a really cool idea.” Garza said. “A lot of students live on campus and they don’t really like going out to get food, so I know I would do it.”