President of the Texas A&M Health Science Center resigns

Dr. Nancy Dickey announced her resignation as president of the Texas A&M Health Science Center and vice chancellor for health affairs Tuesday afternoon.
Dickey said in a press release that it seems like an appropriate time for a new leader to take control of the program. Her resignation went into effect Tuesday.
The impending merger of the TAMHSC into the University seems an appropriate time for new leadership to take the helm, she said in the release. This is an opportunity for me to return to my passion regarding health policy, health care delivery solutions, medical ethics and professionalism and the importance of these topics in the education of health professionals.
The A&M System Board of Regents approved the merger between Texas A&M University and the HSC in early August.
The release stated that E.J. Pederson, former executive vice president and chief operating officer of the University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston, will immediately replace Dickey as the acting head of the HSC. Pederson will be voted on as interim head in November at the Board of Regents meeting.
University President R. Bowen Loftin said in the release that Pederson understands the challenges concerning the HSC.
I have known [Pederson] to be a tireless and effective health care professional who understands the challenges we face in this very important transition period, Loftin said. We are fortunate to have him on our team, as we build upon the TAMHSCs foundation.