Technology management sophomore Ashley Mendoza and communication junior Madeline Sturm work at the MSC Help Desk on Monday, Nov. 20, 2023. (Kyle Heise/The Battalion)
University classes canceled due to IT outage
An error released in an update to Windows devices has shut down A&M’s technology network

Shalina Sabih July 15, 2024

Prospective students visit campus, gain insight to programs

Campus bustled with visitors this past weekend as high school students, transfer students and parents participated in Texas A&M’s annual Aggieland Saturday.
The open house featured resource tables and presentations about all facets of Aggie life, from academics, to Greek life, to dorm life and much more. The days events allowed students to craft their own schedules, so each student could design a unique experience from an extensive list of options.
High school juniors Kamryn Crowder and Brooke Shaw from the Woodlands, Texas each found what they were looking for through the various campus tours. Shaw, an aspiring theatre major was happy with her tour of the new Liberal Arts building, which furthered her desire to attend A&M. Crowder, who is planning on majoring in business, attended presentations by the Mays Business School in Wehner.
This Aggieland Saturday was unlike years past, in part because 2013 has been the first year that visiting students could enjoy the renovated Memorial Student Center. Crowds of excited participants filled the building throughout the day, enjoying the MSC’s new atmosphere.
Current Aggies also enjoyed the day’s activities, with many hosting information tables across campus.
Sarah Turner, junior wildlife and fisheries major, ran a table for the Wildlife Society and told high school students about experiences she has had in her major.
“It was a great opportunity for a student organization to reach future members and their parents and show them the importance of involvement in clubs at college,” Turner said.
Aggieland Saturday draws in potential A&M students from across Texas and beyond, but according to Meredith Ramirez, assistant director in the Office of Admissions, it positively impacts the on-campus community as well.
“It’s fantastic to see everyone out in full force showcasing Aggieland together,” Ramirez said. “This year, we saw even more participation from the Texas A&M and Bryan-College Station communities.”
Booths from diverse organizations filled the square on Rudder Plaza, with Parson’s Mounted Cavalry stationed close by at Simpson Drill Field. Cadets also lined the path to the Administration Building at the campus’ main entrance and served as guides at various locations throughout the day.
Sophomore meteorology major and corps cadet Grant Ellis explained the role that the Corps plays in facilitating Aggieland Saturdays events.
Our role is to make sure everything runs smoothly, Ellis said. Different outfits drill on the quad throughout the day, do physical training and other activities. Campus tours go through the quad, and the outfits get to showcase different aspects of Corps life.
Ellis said the Corps uniforms are good conversation starters about life at A&M and also give Corps members the opportunity to share their experiences as cadets.
[Visitors] ask questions about campus, traditions and A&Ms history, and then a lot of times the conversation moves to the Corps itself, Ellis said. From there we can tell them about the Corps and direct them to the Corps center to speak with other representatives.
Participants in Aggieland Saturday were also invited to attend baseball games, as well as the softball teams Aggie Classic tournament, allowing for their daily dose of athletics.