Graduate G Tyrece Radford (23) drives to the basket during Texas A&Ms game against Nebraska in the first round of the 2024 NCAA Tournament at FedExForum in Memphis, Tennessee, on Friday, March 22, 2024. (Kyle Heise/The Battalion)
How Tyrece Radford can catch the attention of NBA scouts

After 5 years of college basketball at Virginia Tech and Texas A&M, Tyrece Radford is furthering his athletic career with the San Antonio...

Renown actor, civil and gun rights activist dies

LOS ANGELES – Heston, who died Saturday night at 84, was a towering figure both in his politics and on screen, where his characters had the ear of God (Moses in “The Ten Commandments”), survived apocalyptic plagues (“The Omega Man”) and endured one of Hollywood’s most-grueling action sequences (the chariot race in “Ben-Hur,” which earned him the “Best Actor” Academy Award).
Better known in recent years as a fierce gun-rights advocate who headed the National Rifle Association, Heston played legendary leaders and ordinary men hurled into heroic struggles.
Students on campus remember Heston for his groundbreaking roles and the influence he had on them through those epic movies.
“He starred in some of the greatest movies from the 20th century,” said Anisha Jambhekar, a junior biomedical science major. “His prolific talents will be missed. He left a lasting impact on American cinema and no one can replace him.”
Callie Bracewell, a freshman biomedical engineering major, felt much the same way. “It is sad to lose one of America’s influential actors. He influenced and made an impact on [many,]” she said.
Heston’s jutting jaw, regal bearing and booming voice served him well as Marc Antony in “Julius Caesar” and “Antony and Cleopatra,” Michelangelo in “The Agony and the Ecstasy,” John the Baptist in “The Greatest Story Ever Told” and an astronaut on a topsy-turvy world where simians rule in “Planet of the Apes.”
Becca Boyd, a freshman communication major, appreciated Heston’s hard work and the importance of his roles. “I am really sad to hear about [his death]. He portrayed the character of Moses in a very good manner. He helped people relate to Moses and understand the Bible.”
His role as Ben Hur touched students at A&M, as well.
“I loved him in Ben Hur. I have not seen any one his other movies, but he had an impact on me through [that] movie,” said Jared Patoskie, freshman aerospace engineering major.
Rachel Krajca, fellow freshman aerospace engineering major, laments the loss of Heston as well.
“He had a long and productive life. He did so many great things when he was alive and it is a shame that he died.”
Charlton Heston also appeared in Michael Moore’s “Bowling for Columbine.”
The Associated Press reported from Los Angeles. Battalion staff writer Madiha Rizvi contributed reporting from College Station.