Texas A&M infielder Ali Camarillo (2) thros to first during Texas A&M’s game against Louisiana at the NCAA Bryan-College Station Regional Final at Olsen Field on Sunday, June 2, 2024. (Chris Swann/The Battalion)
Camarillo, Aschenbeck selected by Athletics, Cubs to round out 2024 MLB Draft

Junior SS Ali Camarillo and senior LHP Evan Aschenbeck rounded out the 2024 MLB Draft for Texas A&M baseball on Monday as they were selected...

Rudder’s Rangers demonstrate combat skills during annual Quad Assault

A member of Rudder’s Rangers Company fires a machine gun during Quad Assault 2017.

In an effort to recruit new members, Rudder’s Rangers put on their annual Quad Assault demonstration Thursday afternoon. Spence Park was partially blocked off and set up to simulate an actual battlefield.
Upperclassmen participating in the demonstration were in full gear and prepared for the simulation two weeks in advance to showcase the kinds of skills prospective members will be learning if recruited.
Luis Garcia, history senior and commander of Rudder’s Rangers, said the demonstration was valuable for freshmen interested in joining the Army ROTC specific company.
“Most people, especially from the freshman perspective, have no idea what Rudder’s is,” Garcia said. “So this gets a quick highlight of what we do, what you’ll learn. This is definitely a good way for them to see just how we operate, what we do and what we learn out here at Rudder’s Rangers.”
Noorddin Alsawfta, international studies junior and first sergeant of Rudder’s Rangers, said the specific focus on academics and fitness is what sets the Rangers apart from other companies.
“Our company really strives on having better academic achievement, better physical achievement and better overall mental fortitude,” Alsawfta said, “The reason we focus on those is the people in the company are all looking for a commission into the United States military, so these are all parts that are necessary in order to be a successful officer.”
This year’s Quad Assault featured a platoon raid, demonstration of effective use of machine guns, the insertion of a fire team through repelling, simple fire maneuver and basic small unit tactics.
The cadets in the simulation fire blanks at the opposing team, and at times the communication happening over the radios of the cadets can be heard over the speakers so the audience can fully understand the strategies being executed.
Patrick McMonigle, university studies-leadership freshman, was enthusiastic about wanting to try out for Rudder’s Rangers.
“I thought it was really cool to see some of the infantry tactics and some of the weapons they brought out today,” McMonigle said. “I’m sure I speak for anyone on the fence when I say that after seeing that I’m pretty darn convinced. I want to join the team or at least try out. It was definitely quite the show.”
Blake Watson, mechanical engineering sophomore, said he thinks Rudder’s Rangers is the practical choice for those wanting to pursue a military career because of the experience that can be gained.
“I thought it was really cool that the Rudder’s Rangers came out here and they got to show the freshmen what the Army’s kind of like,” Watson said. “Especially those who want a contract, it’s going to be a great opportunity for them and I think it’ll be a great organization for them to get involved in.”