‘Spitball’ app to bring new study platform to A&M

Photo by Photo by Morgan Engel

Spitball was founded in Israel and is now being brought to College Station because of the vibrant campus culture.

A  new  outlet  for  studying  can be found with the tap of a finger on an app and is now available to Texas A&M students.
Spitball, a free communication and group study app, allows students to share study guides, create custom quizzes and talk to fellow students about classes.
Jordan Weiss, head of U.S. Operations for Spitball, said the app is launching at 13 schools around the United States and chose College Station as a testing ground because A&M is a large school with a high-level of academics.
“Spitball originally launched in Israel and we already have two-thirds of Israeli college students using our platform, and those are students all across the country,” Weiss said. “A&M has really strong academics and a vibrant culture and campus life. We found that Spitball is most successful on campuses where there is a campus community and students are working together and studying together.”
Weiss said Spitball got its name for being an open space where students can communicate ideas and find help with academic issues.
“The platform is called Spitball because to spitball means to brainstorm together in an open, non-judgmental environment,” Weiss said. “Spitballing and the idea of working together are some of our core values.”
Students can access Spitball from any location at any time that posts the most relevant information first, Weiss said.
“[Students] can use Spitball wherever they are, at any time, to study at their own pace while still being a part of a larger group,” Weiss said. “We rely on students to upload the content. We have, similar to Facebook, a ‘like’ feature. The algorithm is such that the documents that are downloaded more often, liked more often, commented will be promoted.”
Jennifer Gonzalez, biomedical sciences senior, said she does not use study apps often.
“I do think they’re helpful; I just personally mostly prefer doing stuff on my own. But I do think they are helpful,” Gonzalez said. “I think it depends on the course. I know last year for one of my classes we would share stuff through a Facebook page and we would all collaborate and I thought that was useful and fair in a way  because we were all doing it together and putting stuff we can all think about and contribute. I don’t think it’s as helpful if only one person is contributing everything.”
Cynthia Maldonado, biochemistry sophomore, said she does use study apps, but found that many of them lacked the information she was seeking for her major.
“I think it would be useful as long as there’s material that helps,” Maldonado said. “If I have questions with regards to a problem and I can’t find an answer or I can’t seem to get help, I could just put my question in and use it, and people could just answer it and it could be faster than going to office hours.”
Srivyas Sriyathson, economics senior, said he would be hesitant to try a new app.
“It would depend on testimonials — I would have to know people who recommend the app, like telling me, ‘Oh, this is good, you should download this,’” Sriyathson said.
Weiss said there are a variety of features that are designed to help students study smarter.
“We like to call Spitball a crowdsourced learning platform,” Weiss said. “There are a variety of features that are designed to help students study smarter, not harder, and so students can share study guides and notes on Spitball, either with the entire class or selected friends in a private study group.”