Texas Secretary of State to visit, encourage voting

No Labels is hosting Texas Secretary of State Carlos Cascos for their Thursday event, titled “Texas Votes!”

Texas Votes! Will include a speech from Cascos, a Q&A session, and an opportunity for students to register to vote in the Brazos Valley, said Jackson Kuplack, international studies junior and president of No Labels, a student organization dedicated to fostering bipartisan relationships.

Mike Duncan, No Labels vice president, said the group chose Cascos as a speaker because of his unique expertise in voting.

“As Secretary of State, he oversees elections and enforces voting laws and maintains voter registration records,” Duncan said. “For this event, he will be focusing on voting in the state: some trends, demographics, essentially how democracy operates in the Lone Star state, and on bipartisanship. In his office, he has to work with all ends of the political spectrum, and he is an interesting perspective on the subject.”

Duncan said the goal of the program is to encourage students to think critically about bipartisanship.

“We hope that by having such an important Texas political figure discuss these topics, it will make students think critically about politics,” Duncan said. “And strive for a government that actually accomplishes goals over divisive, partisan bickering.”

The event will take place from 7-8 p.m. Sunday in Rudder Tower 410.