Shalina Sabih July 15, 2024

Troops, elected officials deserve more respect

In response to Jonny Havens’ March 20 column:
Mr. Havens, you were correct that Bonfire brought all groups on campus together to show the Aggie Spirit. Some of your subsequent points, however, misjudged the reality of what it will take to restore this tradition to campus, and the qualifications and motives of some of those who seek to do so.
Contrary to what you wrote Thursday, working with the administration is not a small and insignificant step. It is the only way that Bonfire will return to campus. Most Aggies realize that the football team, yell leaders, Reveille, and the Fightin’ Texas Aggie Band are an integral part of the Bonfire tradition. They will appear only at a University-sanctioned Bonfire.
You were equally incorrect when you maintained that students working to restore the tradition have neither experience nor an understanding of the tradition. Both of the co-chairs as well as several other board members of the Bonfire Coalition were extensively involved in Bonfire. Our officers have been or are members of the Corps of Cadets, Alpha Gamma Rho fraternity and Walton Hall, just to name a few. They worked diligently in the construction of Texas Aggie Bonfire and have passed their knowledge, stories and camaraderie on to other members. We will also stage educational events throughout the semester to keep Bonfire alive!
By quoting an attorney who represents plaintiffs in litigation related to the 1999 tragedy, you misrepresented the legal realities that Dr. Gates faced when he decided to postpone a decision on the future of Bonfire. Trial lawyers frequently make self-serving public statements. Our president acted on legal advice from attorneys who do not try their cases in the court of public opinion, those who work for the Texas A&M System and the State of Texas.
Finally, announcing Nov. 18 as Bonfire Remembrance Day was not a political diversion. It was one of our five goals for this academic year. That designation gives proper respect to those lost, injured and emotionally scarred on Nov. 18, 1999. It was important and necessary.
Although we’re all disappointed that Aggie Bonfire will not return to campus in 2003, most Aggies realize that Dr. Gates represents the best hope for restoring this great tradition. He deserves our support.
Ryan Kirkpatrick, Class of 1999
Bonfire Coalition Co-Chair
Marc Barringer, Class of 1992
Bonfire Coalition Co-Chair