Shalina Sabih July 15, 2024

U.S. treaty with India will has positive implications

First of all, India’s early nuclear reactors and heavy water were not supplied by the Soviet Union, but rather by the Canadians. Also, under this treaty, the United States is not supplying weapons-related technology but only civilian technology to nuclear plants that will be under international inspections (14 of them in all). Thus, of the 22 reactors that can currently produce material for military purposes, 14 will be off the list.
Therefore, India’s ability to produce nuclear material will substantially decrease, not increase. The columnist seems to be of the view that the foreign policy-minded president and his team are foolish enough to sign a treaty without any gain to the United State’s non-proliferation policies.
India is a multireligious, multilingual and multiethnic country and has an impeccable record of nuclear non-proliferation, unlike Iraq, which was under a monarch first and then ruled by a brutal dictator.
Thus, there is absolutely no comparison between India and Iraq. India is an ancient and mature nation that will handle this with aplomb. Finally, the act of the United States barring technology to Middle Eastern countries and not to India is not a hypocritical attitude, as all the present day terrorists are of Middle Eastern origins trained in Pakistan.
The treaty between India and the United States will only usher a strong partnership between the world greatest democracies and bring them closer together. The treaty will not ensure chaos.
Ravi KaredlaGraduate Student