University, student respond to Reveille incident

Photo by Courtesy of Rebecca Weathers

Business administration freshman Rebecca Weathers poses next to Reveille IX at a private photo shoot Oct. 5. 

An image of Reveille IX appearing to snap at a student while they posed for a photo garnered attention on Twitter Thursday morning, provoking a swarm of response and speculation from commenters.
Neither Reveille nor anyone present was harmed, Texas A&M University Spokesperson Amy Smith confirmed. Those who later gave accounts of the event reported that Reveille’s paw or tail may have accidentally been stepped on, causing her to snap, Smith said.
“From the photos, she was surrounded by what I see as well-meaning Aggies who were hugging and sometimes grabbing or petting her from behind and that might have scared her,” Smith said.
Business administration freshman Rebecca Weathers, the student pictured next to Reveille, said she and around 20 other people met Reveille during a photo-op organized by Weathers’ Kappa Alpha Theta big and the presence of so many students, many of whom had not met the mascot previously, could easily have become overwhelming.
“I just approached her to take a picture from the side so I don’t think she got a good glimpse of me before I went to take a photo of her, so I think she just wasn’t very sure who I was and that would be scary from me too if someone I didn’t know tried to take a picture with me and I didn’t see them beforehand,” Weathers said.
Weathers and Reveille met again for private photo shoot Thursday night. The pair posed on a couch together and Weathers said she enjoyed the opportunity to interact with the mascot in a more serene setting. Weathers even got to fed Reveille one of her favorite snacks – cheese.
“My experience today, it was just me and Rev and a few other people, like the handler, and it was honestly just awesome,” Weathers said.
Respecting boundaries and taking care not to create an overwhelming or surprising experience is important when meeting any animal, Smith said – even one as well trained as the First Lady of Aggieland.
“She’s got a good temperament, but any animal that is grabbed from the side or from behind or stepped on might snap and so she snapped,” Smith said. “I think it’s a lesson to all of us that this is not somebody in a costume, this is a real animal.”
A series of tweets posted by Reveille IX’s official twitter account echoed Smith’s message, providing tips to make sure each meeting remains smooth and friendly.
“Howdy friends!!! I love taking pictures with my Aggies, but please be respectful and make sure I see you when you approach me,” one Tweet said.