Texas A&M infielder Ali Camarillo (2) thros to first during Texas A&M’s game against Louisiana at the NCAA Bryan-College Station Regional Final at Olsen Field on Sunday, June 2, 2024. (Chris Swann/The Battalion)
Camarillo, Aschenbeck selected by Athletics, Cubs to round out 2024 MLB Draft

Junior SS Ali Camarillo and senior LHP Evan Aschenbeck rounded out the 2024 MLB Draft for Texas A&M baseball on Monday as they were selected...

Updated Help Desk Central expands access to resources and assistance

new help desk 2

The revamped and remodeled Help Desk Central aims to provide effective access to technology services in a facility that is the first of its kind on the A&M campus.
The new HDC and Incident & Operations center is now available to students for access and support in room 1112 of the Computing Service Center which is located across from the Central Campus Garage parking lot. HDC offers qualified student technicians who are ready to help, answer questions and address any concerns regarding technological issues at A&M, said Cheryl Cato, Associate Vice President and Chief Technology Officer. 
HDC’s open floor plan allows for greater capacity to service campus members and a comfortable place for faculty, staff and students to operate their devices while they wait for service.
“One of the other big changes is how we have separated our service areas,” Cato said. “By creating secure, dedicated space for the contact center and HDC repair, our technicians are able to focus 100 percent on assisting campus members, regardless of how they contact us.”
Along with a more convenient location, designated spaces and the open modern floor plan, the HDC offers several new technological elements that will enhance service, Cato said. This includes software sales counter, software installation from a fully certified staff and self-service lockers to pick up computers after repair or malware removal.
“Some of the new technology we have integrated into the space includes several large digital signage displays, an interactive check-in kiosk and wait board system so campus members can better anticipate wait times,” Cato said.
Additionally, the new HDC was put together in a manner which would simulate a multinational technology company ambiance, such as an Apple or Microsoft store, Cato said.
“We made a conscious effort to model the new Help Desk after what you might experience at an Apple or Microsoft Store,” Cato said. “The idea was to remove the ‘counter’ barrier that you see in a traditional help desk, allowing our technicians to sit side-by-side with campus members needing assistance.”
HDC has seven full-time staff members and around 50 student technicians, all certified to operate through the Help Desk Institute (HDI), said Matt Lacy, HDC Manager.
“This year, [HDI] received the HDI Team Certified Pinnacle of Excellence award for 2017,” Lacy said. “Our student technicians go through a rigorous training program as they are on-boarded and before they ever begin assisting campus members.”
According to Associate Vice President and Chief Technology Officer, Cheryl Cato, the new Help Desk Central location provides several new and improved features meant to enhance the experience of all campus members whether they call or walk-in for service.
The facility is available to all A&M students, faculty and staff. Blinn Team sophomore Kara Hellweg stopped by the center after having issues with her internet service on campus, specifically on her personal laptop.
“The service at the Help Desk Center was great,” Hellweg said. “I was having some technical issues with my laptop and also needed assistance installing some software. They were able to assist me with my issue and finally installed my required software. So glad this kind of resource exists on campus because I definitely would not have been able to do that on my own.”
Lacy said he hopes that students find HDC an inviting place to receive technology consultation and support, work on homework and charge devices between classes.

• new help desk 4

• new help desk 3

• Help Desk Central is staffed by student technicians who help fellow-Aggies with any potential technological issues.