Texas A&M infielder Ali Camarillo (2) thros to first during Texas A&M’s game against Louisiana at the NCAA Bryan-College Station Regional Final at Olsen Field on Sunday, June 2, 2024. (Chris Swann/The Battalion)
Camarillo, Aschenbeck selected by Athletics, Cubs to round out 2024 MLB Draft

Junior SS Ali Camarillo and senior LHP Evan Aschenbeck rounded out the 2024 MLB Draft for Texas A&M baseball on Monday as they were selected...

Water Walk-A-Thon to support global organization

Water+Walk-A-Thon
Photo by Courtesy
Water Walk-A-Thon

To give a visual representation of the walk thousands people around the world take for clean drinking water each day, United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund will host their second annual Water Walk-A-Thon.
UNICEF’s Texas A&M campus initiative branch is just a small part of the global organization, which works in 190 countries and territories according to their website. All proceeds from the event will benefit UNICEF’s national fund and outreach programs. At Water Walk-A-Thon, each participant will be given a plastic gallon jug to carry, and the walking route will be approximately the same length route that adults and children trek every day across the world. Additionally, there will be a DJ and food provided for walkers. TAMU-UNICEF has a fundraising goal of $5,500 for 2017.
Communication sophomore, treasurer and public relations chair for TAMU-UNICEF Brianna Moreno said there will also be a competition to promote attendance and assist participating campus organizations.
“We’re also offering a scholarship to any organization that registers the most members,” Moreno said. “It will go directly to an organization, it just depends on which organization can get the most members registered for the walk.”
Along with raising awareness, UNICEF advocates for children’s rights and aims to reduce preventable deaths in children, according to Jane Varkey, biomedical science senior, vice president and president of TAMU-UNICEF.
“We’re raising funds for UNICEF so they can provide good sanitation, clean water, prevent preventable deaths in children around the world,” Varkey said.
Moreno said their organization intends to make a difference in a global issues through this annual fundraiser.
“The impact that we can make is big,” Moreno said. “And it’s as easy as coming out on a Saturday morning to do a walk.”
The walk will take place at Rudder Plaza Saturday, April 22, from 10 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Registration for the walk can be completed here.