Graduate G Tyrece Radford (23) drives to the basket during Texas A&Ms game against Nebraska in the first round of the 2024 NCAA Tournament at FedExForum in Memphis, Tennessee, on Friday, March 22, 2024. (Kyle Heise/The Battalion)
How Tyrece Radford can catch the attention of NBA scouts

After 5 years of college basketball at Virginia Tech and Texas A&M, Tyrece Radford is furthering his athletic career with the San Antonio...

Women’s chorus takes stage for spring concert

Texas A&M’s all-female choral group will perform its 30th anniversary Spring Concert at 7:30 p.m. Friday at the Annenberg Presidential Conference Center by the George Bush Presidential Library and Museum.
The concert features a variety of songs representing an array of musical styles. The first half will consist of pieces from Central Europe, including traditional songs performed in Czech, Hungarian and Latin. The second half of the concert will have spirituals and folk songs arranged by American composers.
The program concludes with a special performance written and choreographed by the graduating seniors and the singing of the choir’s signature song, “I Believe.”
“I Believe” is a lyrical poem sung to the tune of “Ave Maria” performed at every Women’s Chorus concert. During the song, past members are asked to come on stage and join the choir members in their most honored tradition.
Women’s Chorus Public Relations Manager Jennifer Miller, a junior marketing major, said she is amazed by the power of the tradition. She realized what Women’s Chorus was all about her freshman year when she saw the seniors overcome with emotions while singing it for their last time as choir members.
“It was really powerful to know the group meant so much to them. It made me want to get involved so it would mean the same thing for me,” Miller said. “It’s really cool to think that I will be able to come back to the concerts and not just watch it and remember, but to sing with them.”
Women’s Chorus members come from a variety of majors and represent diverse academic backgrounds. None of the members are music majors, but join the choir simply for a love of music, Miller said.
Corps cadet Amanda Camarata, who sings alto in Women’s Chorus, joined to be a part of a group who shared her love of music.
“I joined because for one I loved singing and it’s one of my passions and also because I wanted to be around women who had the same kind of interests as me,” said the freshman aerospace engineering major. “People who if I started singing wouldn’t tell me to shut up, they would sing with me.”
The seven member choir rehearses five hours every week and attends social events throughout the semester.
Members have to memorize 27 songs for performances year-round, many of which are in different languages. Alto singer Rebekah Crumpton said she doesn’t mind the work.
“There is a joy in actually memorizing something that is fun rather than memorizing something for a test that you don’t want to take. When you have a concert you are having fun doing it,” said the sophomore English major.
Women’s Chorus was founded in 1979 as an opportunity for women to participate in choral activities, which were previously dominated by men. Women’s Chorus continues to promote excellence in the fine arts, encourage cultural expansion and provide entertainment for the campus community.
“When people think of A&M, they don’t think of their fine arts departments, but we have an amazing choral department with so much talent. People just don’t realize it,” Miller said. “We are like a hidden gem.”
ShowtimeTickets for the 30th anniversary concert are $5 and can be purchased at the MSC box office or at the door.