Zika virus reported to be sexually transmitted

A rare case of the Zika virus was reported Wednesday in Dallas, where the patient is believed to have contracted the virus by sexual contact. The Zika virus is typically spread through mosquito bites. 
Wednesday’s case is the first reported case of Zika virus contraction through sexual activity reported in the United States. An individual who recently traveled to Venezuela infected his or her partner upon return. Names and genders of the two involved persons have not been released at time of press. 
While the Zika virus’ symptoms tend to be mild in adults, the worldwide concern over the virus’ recent spread is focused on the complications it incurs for pregnant women. Pregnant women who have contracted Zika virus have a higher chance of giving birth to infants who suffer from “microcephaly” — a condition that leads to abnormal smallness of the head and can lead to the infant’s death. 
There are at least 48 people reported with Zika virus infections in the U.S., according to ABC News, which reports nearly all other cases besides Wednesday’s Dallas case are confirmed to have been contracted outside the country. 
The World Health Organization declared the Zika virus a Public Health Emergency of International Concern on Monday after its spread through South and Central America was linked to several cases of microcephaly.