Texas A&M pitcher Evan Aschenbeck (53) throws a pitch during Texas A&M’s game against Florida at the NCAA Men’s College World Series semifinal at Charles Schwab Field in Omaha, Nebraska on Sunday, June 19, 2024. (Hannah Harrison/The Battalion)
Aggies defeat Gators 6-0 to advance to first College World Series finals
Kolton Becker, Sports Writer • June 20, 2024

There’s always a first for everything.  For the first time in program history, Texas A&M baseball is headed to the Men’s College...

Aggie cross country visits Notre Dame for 61st Joe Piane Invitational

Photo by File

Karis Jochen defended her 6,000-meter title earlier this year at the Texas A&M Invitational.

The men and women will hit the road en route to South Bend, Indiana for Friday’s 8,000 and 5,000-meter races.

Now ranked as No. 3 men and No. 6 women in the South Central Region by USTFCCCA, the Aggies continue their trek to the SEC Championships in Fayetteville.

The meet is creeping up quickly, now less than a month away. Three meets remain including Friday’s face off where they will toe the line next to some of the nation’s best racers.

The Women’s Blue Division Race will set things underway with six teams ranked in Week 3’s top-30 and six more that received votes. The men will follow in line with six ranked teams and five unranked in the Men’s Blue Division Race. Competing teams include nationally ranked No. 1 Providence and No. 2 New Mexico as well as old-time rivals No. 30 Texas.

The Aggies participated in the Piane Invitational last year posting an impressive seventh place for the men while the women claimed 16th. The men were led by now seniors Cameron Villarreal who finished seventh among a field of 169, and Karis Jochen who headed the women’s effort finishing 15th of 174. Both will look to improve on last year’s performance in this weekend’s meet.

The men have claimed first in the last two competitions led by Villarreal with one individual title. The women have placed first and fifth in 2016’s competitions. Despite their sub-par performance last weekend at the Texas A&M Invitational, the women have been well led by All-American Jochen with individual victories in both meets.

“Our women are making nice progress,” said assistant coach Wendel McRaven.

The Aggies will be looking to bounce back in this season’s first road competition, as they set off at 1 p.m. CST Friday on the Notre Dame Golf Course.