Aggie golf looks to build on opening weekend in Fighting Illini Invitational

Photo by Courtesy of Texas A&M athletics

Junior Chandler Phillips claimed top individual honors at the Badger Invitational held at the University of Wisconsin golf course in Madison, Wisconsin. 

The Texas A&M men’s golf team travels to Olympia Fields, Illinois this weekend to take part in the OFCC Fighting Illini Invitational. This tournament is from Friday (September 15) through Sunday (September 17) and the Aggies hope to capitalize on their momentum after winning the Badger Invitational.

The OFCC Fighting Illini Invitational encompasses many top teams in the nation including No. 1 Oklahoma State, No. 4 Baylor, No. 6 Texas, No. 8 USC, No. 12 UNLV, No. 14 Stanford, No. 16 Texas A&M, No. 19 Alabama and No. 20 Florida State.

The Aggies got off to a good start to the golf season, and they were led by junior Chandler Phillips.

“What a great way to start off the year,” head coach J.T. Higgins told 12thman.com. “Team set the tournament’s scoring record and Chandler gets a win, I’m really proud and happy for everybody. I think we’ve got a really solid team and I’m excited to see what we can do this year.”

Other noteworthy performances came from freshman Reese Ramsey, who scored a -6 in his first collegiate appearance. Senior Andrew Paysse finished in the top-ten after a rough start with a score of -4. Head Coach J.T. Higgins praised his senior’s performance by telling 12thman.com, “”I’m also really proud of Andrew today. He started off with a triple bogey on his second hole and comes back to make seven birdies and shot three-under.” Now, the Aggies turn their focus to the OFCC Fighting Illini Invitational this weekend.

The Fighting Illini return four starters from last season including seniors Nick Hardy and Dylan Meyer, who have helped the University of Illinois win three straight Big-Ten Championships. With a strong team, Illinois Head Coach Mike Small told FightingIllini.com, “This year’s team will have a good combination of talent, experience and youthful potential. Bringing those qualities together is going to be a fun task this year and we’re excited to get the fall season going.”

The OFCC Fighting Illini Invitational brings out the best golf teams across the nation, and this three-day event looks to be a star-studded one. Texas A&M opened the season with a commanding win at the Badger Invitational, while Illinois opens their season with this tournament. With so many top teams competing this weekend, the Aggies look to take advantage of this tournament and advance far into the event.