Aggie soccer looks to end losing streak against Kentucky

Photo by Photo by: Morgan Engel

Sophomore forward Brittany Crabtree.

The Texas A&M soccer team will look to rebound after two straight road losses when it returns home to host Kentucky at Ellis Field on Oct. 20.

The Aggies (7-7-1, 2-5-1 SEC) return home following a 2-0 road loss at Tennessee and a 2-1 loss at Ole Miss and have had better luck in College Station. The team has used the 12th Man as an advantage, posting a 7-3-1 record at Ellis and an 0-4 record on the road.

Junior Haley Pounds still has the team lead in goals on lockdown — six goals, three of which were game winners, five assists and 17 points. Sophomore Emily Bates and freshman Grace Piper are second on the team with three goals apiece. The team averages 15.1 shots-per-game and averages 1.29 goals-per-game.

Defensively, senior goalkeeper Danielle Rice and the Aggies are fourth in the SEC in shutouts at five, with South Carolina leading the conference at eight. In 2016, Rice has a 7-6-1 record thus far.

Kentucky (4-7-4, 0-5-3 SEC) comes to College Station off of a 2-2 draw against Tennessee at home. The Wildcats have struggled a bit on the road, going 1-3-2 away from Lexington.

Kentucky has nine players on their roster with goals and their leading scorers are both first-year players. Freshmen Tanya Samarzich and Zoe Swift have found the net often — at seven goals and five assists and four goals and four assists, respectively. Samarzich has 19 points and her teammate Swift has 12.

Freshman Evangeline Soucie is the keeper for the Wildcats, owning a 4-7-4 record in 15 starts with a shutout under her belt.

Circling back to the 2015 season and the last time these two teams faced off, the Aggies beat the Wildcats 1-0 on the road behind a goal from sophomore Ally Watt.

Kickoff is scheduled for 6:30 p.m. at Ellis Field and will be broadcast on SEC Network + and can be heard on 1550 AM.