Texas A&M catcher Jackson Appel (20) makes contact with a ball for a double during Texas A&M’s game against Tennessee at the NCAA Men’s College World Series finals at Charles Schwab Field in Omaha, Nebraska on Saturday, June 22, 2024. (Hannah Harrison/The Battalion)
Jones, Appel selected in sixth round of 2024 MLB Draft by Royals, White Sox

Junior RHP Tanner Jones and senior C Jackson Appel are heading to the big leagues after both were taken in the sixth round of the 2024 MLB Draft...

Aggie softball finds edge in pitching battle

The Texas A&M softball team won a 1-0 thriller against the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets on Friday at the Aggie Softball Complex.

The No. 22 Aggies (28-9, 7-5 SEC) were held down for most of the game by the Georgia Tech pitching staff. A&M had its chance to score in the second inning when sophomore April Ryan sent a laser up the middle to bring two Aggies in scoring position. The Aggie hitters failed to get the runners in and stranded the runners at second and third.

The Jackets (13-24, 5-10 ACC) were held in check all day by senior Rachel Fox. She was dealing from the moment she stepped in the circle, throwing a complete game shutout in the process. The Aggies finally broke the tie in the sixth inning when freshman Tori Vidales hit a solo home run for the only run of the game to haul in an Aggie victory.
The Aggies continue play with a doubleheader tomorrow. First pitch is scheduled for 2 p.m.