Aggies aim to continue win streak against UTA

Photo by File

Stephen Kolek tied a career-high with 11 strikeouts Saturday against Mississippi State. 

The No. 20 Texas A&M baseball team will face off against the University of Texas at Arlington at Clay Gould Ballpark Tuesday night.

The Aggies have strung together six consecutive wins and three straight SEC series wins after sweeping Alabama this weekend.

The Aggies (26-11, 8-7 SEC) will pay a visit to the Mavericks (19-17, 9-5 Sun Belt) for a midweek bout as a team that has seemingly begun to take a turn for the better.

A&M’s offense has been led as of late by freshman Braden Shewmake of Wylie, Texas. The second baseman has earned a hit in the past five games and now leads his squad with a whopping 55 hits for the season. He ranks fifth overall in the SEC with a .350 batting average, which has led to 42 RBIs. Shewmake will be backed up in his dugout by catchers Cole Bedford and Hunter Coleman, one of which can be expected to take up duties of designated hitter tomorrow evening. Bedford holds a .337 average while Coleman has tallied .324 from home plate.

They hope to propel the team forward with the help of senior outfielder Nick Choruby’s eight stolen bases. Tuesday night he’ll step up to the plate across from a UTA team that’s also coming off three consecutive conference series wins. In the bullpen stands a trifecta of Mavericks that showcases pitchers Jacob Moreland, Joel Kuhnel and Kadon Simmons. They collectively average a 2.77 ERA and will pitch against the Aggies rotation averaging 3.68 earned runs per nine frames.

Texas A&M fans can expect to see junior Turner Larkins on the mound for his second start of the season. The Arlington native is returning from illness and most likely won’t reach a full count of pitches.

First pitch is slated for 6:30 p.m. in Arlington.