Aggies golfers tee off for second tournament

The Texas A&M men’s golf team will travel to Olympia Fields Country Club for the Fighting Illini Invitational on Friday.
The Aggies hope to build on the momentum from their season-opening win over Princeton Sunday, when they were led by their two preseason All-Americans, freshman Cameron Champ and junior Ben Crancer. Crancer tallied five top-10 finishes last season and was the team leader in scoring average with a mark of 72.05.
The Aggies enter the weekend ranked No. 14, but they will have their work cut out for them in a field that boasts nine other ranked programs, five of which are in the top 10, including consensus No. 1 Alabama. A familiar conference rival in all sports, the Crimson Tide will try to defend their win in last year’s event.
The site of the tournament, Olympia Fields Country Club, has hosted two U.S. Opens and two PGA Championships, most recently in 2003, and has also been designated as the site of the 2015 U.S. Amateur Championship. This weekend’s action will mark the ninth straight year for the Fighting Illini Invitational. Round one will tee off at 9 a.m. Friday.